The Here And Now review by Architects

• Released: Jan 19, 2011
Architects: The Here And Now

As with previous albums (and every band for that matter) the latest album has a different sound and direction. Which is to be expected otherwise we'd tire of the same thing. But every time a band experiments with their sound, they're bound to have some of their fan base bitching about it. This album changes drastically to Hollow Crown and previous albums and it's more noticeable. The songs have a much bigger sound, all of them have big shout a long chorus' and breakdowns. Most of the songs sound the same, not much stand out material this time around APART from a ballad...do ballads really belong in the metalcore genre? or whatever you want to class them as. Still I guess this is the band experimenting again, so I give them credit for doing something outside their comfort zone.

The lyrics of Sam Carter flow really well with the rest of the music. I've always liked Sam Carter as a frontman, he does very well at keeping a balance between screams and clean vocals and Carter doing this makes their music more accessible, especially this album where I feel his clean vocals are more dominant than the screams.

Overall I'd recommend this mainly to new fans, I can't see alot of current fans being really enthusiastic with this album, but I may be wrong. I usually compare Architects to Bring Me The Horizon, but this album feels more like Young Guns, not a bad thing, guess it makes it more melodic.

I would recommend "Day In Day Out" and "Delete, Rewind". This will hopefully give you an idea of the albums over all sound. If the album were lost or stolen, I probably would buy again.

ikantuna
    will check this album later since Hollow Crown is pretty OK... and what's up with the melody? I believe they're not as suck as Linkin Park these days.
    guitr638
    An Open Letter to Myself is pretty rad. Also, Heartburn melted my heart.
    EpiExplorer
    ...do ballads really belong in the metalcore genre?
    Metallichemical
    robbie-rocks
    EpiExplorer wrote: ...do ballads really belong in the metalcore genre? Well, if Carnifex has a deathcore ballad. Both are bad ideas anyway. Also, I've heard that this album is like After the Burials 'In Dreams' ie, tosh. Not my words, but a disgruntled fan in my college had a high opinion of these guys.
    Metallichemical wrote: Well, All Shall Perish did an amazing ballad called The Last Relapse. I highly suggest checking it out! I though Hollow Crown decent like you said. Nothing groundbreaking. Worth a listen though. Now I'm eager to check this out!
    I'll check the bands you mentioned out, my opinion has changed slightly since I wrote the review but I still don't see the album as something special. But I do suggest checking it out
    frankibo
    I like it when bands progress with their sound, expand on it, develop it. Not when they become a different band.
    Dregen
    frankibo wrote: Not when they become a different band.
    errr... they didn't? seems like a pretty natural progression to me. album is pretty samey, but each album is kind of like that. the only thing that bothers me are the predictable, kind of lame choruses. but everything else is great.
    Amuro Jay
    This album was way softer than Hollow Crown. Doesn't bother me, though, as I wasn't too big of a fan in the first place.
    Xx__benji__xX
    Disappointment. That's the only word I can use to describe this album, and this is coming from a very big Architects fan! They've lost all that magic that I used to love about them!
    Sephirangel
    Pretty rubbish stuff to be honest...as they have become more popular and 'Kerrang-ified' they have changed their sound to reach more people. I believe the definition is 'selling out'. The songs sound a lot like other albums such as A Day To Remember etc. The only stand out song is Stay Young Forever which is very good...if only they made more like that one!
    ESPRyuu16
    I personally like the new album its a definite fresh breath of air. I love their old stuff but their new stuff shows how they have matured.
    mikkoyay
    This was not a natural progression. This sounds like a totally different band. Ruin had some great rhythmical solutions and heavy grooves, Hollow Crown had an awesomely close and heart-ripping atmosphere, but The Here And Now sound like an album aimed to be played at some huge stadium while warming up for Aerosmith.