Favourite Worst Nightmare review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Apr 23, 2007
Arctic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare

I've always liked the Monkeys guitar sound and here it comes out even better thanks to good production. It's the same really cool, twangy, Gang of Four/Dick Dale/James Bond theme kind of sound. The band generally sounds tighter and more refined. Wheather this is due to good production, that fact thay've been playing so much live or both, I don't know. Also the drums seem to have really improved. They fit in the the guitar perfectly and the band really seems to get a singular overall sound which they kind of lacked on WPSIWIN.

I haven't listened to it enough yet but the lyrics are still really cool and whitty. However my first impression is they are not quite up to the standard of "Whatever..." which was brillant. However maybe I'm wrong, since it took me a few listens of their first album to really catch all the puns and ironies. "Fake Tales of San Fransico" on the last album has some of the whittiest lyrics I ever heard since the Smiths in my opinion but I have yet to find anything quite as cool here.

Definately a step in the right direction. I was only mildly impressed at first but after a few listens I do think overall this album is much better then their first effort and they have gotten much better as a band. At the moment my favorite tracks are "Brainstorm", "Teddy Picker", "The House is a Circus" and "505". Funnily enough only a year ago I didn't really like the Arctic Monkey's. I always heard "I bet you look good on the dancefloor" and thought they were just another over hyped UK indie band. I gave thier first album a good listen and started to like it, especially the lyrics. This album only confirms, while they are still far from my favorite, that I was wrong and the Arctic Monkeys really are a very good band.

Redferret
    Haza seems to have it a bit wrong, the songs are definitely not simple and they aren't full of catchy hooks, however, it is a brilliant album showing a band maturing as artists and daring to be creative with sounds and ideas.
    sam-op
    The first single Braistorm that reminds me of Choo Choo from Whatever People Say
    just to point out....choo choo was not in whatever people say bout me thats what im not
    armitage_cake
    That UG review is absolutely terrible. Lost it's infectious melodies? Bollocks. The music itself has advanced greatly. The band said themselves that they could of easily made the pop record everyone expected but they didn't. They've made something challenging instead. The writer has misquoted the lyrics to "Only Ones Who Know" (it's "true romance can't be acheived these days"). Also this song is definitely not the only romantic song on the album. Alex Turner himself has described "505" as the "first proper love song we've done". Alex's voice has matured, not become less diverse. "Much less enthusiastic about music?" What the ****? When they did the first album they'd only really been influenced by hip hop and the Strokes. Listening to the first 30 seconds of album starter Brianstorm speaks volumes of how their musical influences have widened to maybe The Queens of the Stone Age and further. I could go on.
    Ducativeetwin
    Flourescent Adolescent is an INSTANT classic... Others will no doubt be on further listening. Excellent follow-up album.
    TechnicolorBoy
    Nice job on the review. It displays the EXACT same thoughts that I had. About the album, it's a great sophomore CD. The Arctic Monkeys sure are something special.
    jonnybassman
    its a great follow up album with some amazing songs (do me a favour, balaclava, this house is a circus) and especcially amazing bass riffs throughout the album. Still not as great as the first album which was something special but still provides songs that only the monkeys seem to be producing at the moment. Unlike the first album it has a couple of weak songs , in my opinion the bad thing and teddy picker arent anywhere near as gud as anything of the first album. But my favourite new monkeys song isnt even on the album, what if you were right first time is an amazing song with a gr8 sounding bass riff overall another great album but not as good as the first.
    TallMidget210
    Actually The Killers' was good too, it was different and original, the exact same words used to describe this album. But I guess it's one of those "love it or hate it" things.
    DamoYoung
    That UG review is absolutely terrible. Lost it's infectious melodies? Bollocks. The music itself has advanced greatly. The band said themselves that they could of easily made the pop record everyone expected but they didn't. They've made something challenging instead. The writer has misquoted the lyrics to "Only Ones Who Know" (it's "true romance can't be acheived these days". Also this song is definitely not the only romantic song on the album. Alex Turner himself has described "505" as the "first proper love song we've done". Alex's voice has matured, not become less diverse. "Much less enthusiastic about music?" What the ****? When they did the first album they'd only really been influenced by hip hop and the Strokes. Listening to the first 30 seconds of album starter Brianstorm speaks volumes of how their musical influences have widened to maybe The Queens of the Stone Age and further. I could go on. Well I'll continue on for you.This album is magic.The only song im struggling to get used to is D is for dangerous.The best song on the album is Do me a favor....followed by Brianstorm and 505 which is truly amazing...Alex auctuly plays organ when playing 505 live...brilliant.The whole album shows they have grown up and moved on a little,I think it's a belter.
    Learn_to_fly
    this album pwnz! woot! arctic monkeys f teh w!! although there is no song on 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' similar to Riot Van, guttd, but asides from that, amazingly written album.
    whatiaminstead
    i like it better, i actually really appreciate the serious turn they took and their musical maturity really shows it
    zal_Brianstorm
    between their 1st and the 2nd album,yes it's true that some would felt that the crunch revolution of indie rockwasnt there in the scond album,it's good they became serious in making success,i totally support both of their albums,i think Arctic Monkeys decide to improve their concept of music,DOESN'T MEAN THE DISTORTION OF GUITAR makes the song vicous,some are catchy too,i heart especially 505,Brianstorm,The House Is A Circus and Fluorescent Adolescent
    zal_Brianstorm
    italian rocker
    i first listened to the monks after overhearing my friend say theyre the "best band ever", so i looked em up on purevolume. i was taken away by 'i bet u look good on the dancefloor', and a few months ago i borrowed 'whatever people say i am thats what im not' from the same friend. that is definitely my 3rd favorite album of all time, after staduim arcadium[red hot chili peppers] and back in black[ac/dc]. favourite worst nightmare is great, but the band's maturity cant overcome the fact that their 1st album's better. brainstorm's great and all, but this record needs some classics like 'you probably couldnt see for the lights but you were staring straight at me' or 'a certain romance'. the songs from 'whatever people say i am thats what im not' had such soothing melody. if their 3rd album isnt like the 1st, i'll go crazy.
    Dave_young
    wtf would be the point in them making an album which sounds just like the first?? thats why this is such a great album, its clearly from the same bloodline as 'whatever...' but makes big strides forward sonically. hopefully the third will do the same, but thats looking too far forward really so im just gonna enjoy this album for now and enjoy seeing them in manchester!!
    SGplaya112
    THE KOOKS ARE BETTER!!!! LUKE PRITCHARD IS 100093249283X COOLER THAN ALEX TURNER!!!
    chux1992
    the kooks are a piece of ars compared to the arctic monkeys and luke pritchard is a pussy
    beno93
    this is a good album but i dont realy think its better than the first but i agree with dave its good because its changdbut it dosent match the other
    JoshMysterio
    Less words a second? Balaclava has more words a second than any other presvious Arctic Monkeys song to date. Choo Choo was never released, it wasn't on Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not it was just a demo. Alex's lyrics have advanced and matured, they are still generally about down to earth easy to relate to cenarios, but they are worded in such a darker manor.
    papersun87
    Oh, thank goodness it's good. I really enjoyed their last CD and felt like this one came on a little fast. I was worried it would be one of those "okay, we had a hit now let's write twelve songs as fast as we can and get another one out there" kind of record. I look forward to getting it.
    8butler9
    i agree wi (JoshMysterio). . listening to it now, . b4 any one puts it down, listen to it several times, it does take a while to like, but then is really good, LOVE "TEDDY PICKER" great band from good old yorkshire, cyas Butler
    holyspacemonkey
    Nerdo-sez-bo
    holyspacemonkey wrote: i liked their first album..but this one sounded...a bit like st anger. excessively long and repetitive intros, and i got bored before the lyrics came in. so imo, rubbish.
    But you see, with St Anger, you've already lost faith in the world, killed youself and been dead 40 years when the lryics come in.
    parry107
    Its a bloody brilliant album, BUT is has a few weak tracks, but the strong tracks make up for them. a fantastic second album. My favourite songs are: brianstorm, teddy picker, D is for dangerous, the house is a circus. if you were there beware, old yellow bricks and 505, the rest are a bit weak, but the ballads are good. i.e the bad thing. Overall if you liked there first album, get THIS one, it will blow you head off from the word "go"!
    interpol1988
    its okay...deffinetly worth buying. WEPSIATWIN is allot better because alexs is more outspoken in that CD....I think that too much light was shined on the band and this pressure affected the writing. After they're done with YFWN I belive they should just disapear (like Interpol) and go back to writing songs by themselfs....although i gotta say it's pretty good for a 2nd album..I mean just look at Block Party, The Killers, the Moving Units, and The Bravery. They all crashed and burned in their 2nd CD!
    SlashNX
    The arctic monkeys have moved from catchy songs, to infectious ones! these songs dont have choruses, they dont have catchy guitar lines either.... theyve made the songs as a whole piece catchy. I challange somone to sing more than 2 lines from one of their songs after only one listen!!! In my opinion, they couldnt have made a better 2nd album, theyve shown theyve grown up, got better at their instruments and changed their sound enough not to sound like the first but still sounding like the arctic monkeys!! AMAZING band!
    JoshMysterio
    Why reply in such crap English and with not much to say the jfsj123? When I went and saw them live a few weeks back in Exeter you should of seen the size of Jamie's pedal board, it's a lot larger than what it used to be.
    danyeh
    I liked Arctic Monkeys since the first song i heared and i think they still rock, the new album is not catching first time you listen but when you listen more times it rocks alot more, can't wait till next album!
    finn0
    Bloc Party's 2nd album was very, very good.
    Benjirob
    This band and the style of indie music is completely overrated. It all sounds the same and is all very poor. The singers can hardly sing, its boring powerchords played at high octives and maybe some catchy bass lines but i can't see any attraction in the style of the music or its image.
    interpol1988
    ....i think their sound changed cus they got a new bassist that like to hog* the spotlight a little more
    Burpin'Worm
    *Checked/deleted* If you've got nothing more insightful to say than "it/they sux" please don't post.
    Whatley2212
    finn0 wrote: interpol1988 wrote: look at Block Party, The Killers, the Moving Units, and The Bravery. They all crashed and burned in their 2nd CD! Bloc Party's 2nd album was very, very good.
    Yeah, what are you talking about interpol?
    elmolikepie
    interpol1988 wrote: look at Block Party, The Killers, the Moving Units, and The Bravery. They all crashed and burned in their 2nd CD! yeh i mean the killers are only headlining glastonbury...just beacuse fickle fools such as yourself lost interest after the hype went it doesnt mean the band got any less good.
    mrsensible1234
    the album is good but to me i think its missing something but as they say the 2nd album is always the hardest to do
    monkeymadness
    id absolutly love to see
    BENJIROB This band and the style of indie music is completely overrated. It all sounds the same and is all very poor. The singers can hardly sing, its boring powerchords played at high octives and maybe some catchy bass lines but i can't see any attraction in the style of the music or its image
    do a better job than the monkeys themselves!! i truly think that not one bad thing can be said about this album its fantastic and if your a fan you wil love it just as mych as WEPSIATWIN
    monkeymadness
    and also if you dont like indie music in particular the Arctic Monkeys why oh why are you readin there album review, I mean its not like your goin to go buy the album so why should you care so much wat it sounds like!!!???
    SWENCE_32
    Reading the line
    The album was claimed to be more American-audience oriented and according producers people in America like it more rock and less ska.
    kinda made me think that they are selling out on their second album. I actually look forward to the "Heavier" sound on the album. If there ones one thing that i wished they had done of "What ever people say i am" is that they were a little heavier. cant wait to here it.