Favourite Worst Nightmare review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Apr 23, 2007
Arctic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare

Arctic Monkeys are very unique in their sound and seem to have spawned a whole new side to Indie music. The guitars are the main success in how good they are, fast paced riffs giving a certain energy to the majority of their songs. "Brianstorm" exemplifies this, it's unusual enegetic speed making it one of my songs of the year. The previous album was good, it set the bar very high for the Monkeys, but this album seems to have taken it a whole step further, their songs showing a unique variation. They are definitely the modern great.

If the sound isn't good enough, you've got quirky lyrics that not only can you hear, but have the sudden urge to sing along to. The Monkeys as I'm sure you know have a keen sense for humour and they show this in certain songs, such as the first line of "D Is For Dangerous". Alex Turner's voice fits amazingly well with the music. Balaclava's "But we'll do it anyway 'cos we love a bit of trouble!" is probably my favourite line in the album, but through the whole album, once you've listened to it a few times, it's contagious to join in.

Compared to their last album, this is certainly a step in the right direction, even when you consider that "Whatever People Say I am That's What I'm Not" is still an amazing album in it's own right. The Arctic Monkeys seem to fit in with what modern people want in music. The majority of the songs are brilliant, the first three really standing out to me. "D Is For Dangerous" is an amazing song, probably one of my songs of the year. It does lose it's way in the middle a bit, "Only One Who Knows" and "Do Me A Favour" not quite hitting the highs of the rest, but nevertheless this is one of the best albums of last year.

happyman1990
    You guys are so misleading. I bought favorite worst nightmare. 2nd biggest dissapointment of 2007, next to the new Coheed and Cambria album. The songs on this album are weak. It's as if the went back in time instead of progressing. Brainstorm, sure a good first song, but besides Adolescent, it's a 3 star album. There music is slower and the songs are less lively. I guess I just expected more since their 1st album is one of my favorite all time
    burnshouse
    But you see, with St Anger, you've already lost faith in the world, killed youself and been dead 40 years when the lryics come in.[/quote]lol