Humbug review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Aug 20, 2009
Arctic Monkeys: Humbug

The Sound on this album is absolutely flawless. Josh Homme recorded this record perfectly. Its sound is near the perfect mix of indie and alternative that I dream of in my own recording studio. The sound on the record is just overwhelming at first listen. The first time I heard it I immediately knew that I NEEDED to hear it again! Crying lightening was the first song I heard from the record and it was a completely new and interesting sound that I had not heard before. The sound combined with the recording is nearly unheard of in my head. The very raw indie humored verse mixed with the harsh crunch of the guitars and the very clean blend of the drums compiled with Alex Turners vocals is nearly perfect intertwined. There is the same base that we all know very well, That Arctic Monkeys rigidness that we all love, with Alex's raw vocal talent. But this record is very different from My Favourite Worst Nightmare and almost a complete opposite from Whatever People Say I Am Thats What I'm Not, while still calling themselves The Arctic Monkeys.

The Lyrics are my absolute favourite part of the Arctic Monkeys and always have been. One lyric for some reason always stands out for me during Pretty Visitors Turner forcefully states "What came first the chicken or the dickhead." Truly a brilliant analogy especially for a lyric to a rock song. Crying Lightning is also very poignant in its lyrical approach. "The next time that I caught my own reflction, it was on its way to meet you," I just don't even know what to say about his lyrics. They are as modernly poetic as they come. And Cornerstone (my favourite song as of today) is a song about a lost love, which he replaces with a girl that either oddly resembles the lost love, or a girl that is closely related to that lost love. Truly brilliant!

First of all I would like to say that this album, in my mind, is hands down the album of the year. There are a few other albums that can compete with it like: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Merriweather Post Pavillion, Bitta Ortica, Lungs etc. But Humbug is as perfect and round as an album can become. My only complaint from the album is it is way too short! I would have loved one more tune, maybe a tune to change the pace a bit. The album runs on this very almost dampening mood. I love dampening almost depressing music, but I feel that it would have been more popular if it had a break in the feel. Nonetheless, Its brilliance is nearly unparalleled this year. And just to give a little more elaborance in my opinion of this album here are the tracks and my personal rating: 01. My Propeller: I love this song and its feel. Truly brilliant, and just when you think its over, its not! 11/10 02. Crying Lightning: one of my favourite songs of all time! Too much to say about it. LYrics, sound, musical perfection. GREAT SOLO! 15/10 03. Dangerous Animals: very rarely do I hear a song with spelling in it that I can take seriously. This is a powerful song! "Makes my head pirouette" 10/10 04. Secret Door: lovely song that gives me chills. 10/10 05. Potion Approaching: great Rhythm on the drums. Eerie feel by Turner 9/10 06. Fire And Thud: great song with a wonderful mix of guitar and drums in the heart. Interesting lyrics 9/10 07. Cornerstone: top songs of all time. I can't review this song without writing a discertation. 20/10 08. Dance Little Liar: awesome song with a sinister title and undertone. 9/10 09. Pretty Visitors: powerful song. Some of my favourite lyrics are on here. 11/10 10. The Jewellers Hands: very appropriate ending to the album. I have a very uneasy feeling when I hear this song. If a song has that power, then it must have an inate force behind it. 12/10 Beautiful album. It really is. I cannot say enough about it.