Humbug review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Aug 24, 2009
Arctic Monkeys: Humbug

The sound is darker on this album than previous Arctic Monkeys albums, It is produced by Josh Homme of QOTSA who delivers his own influence on the albums sound, most apparent on The Fire And The Thud, the whole album is confirmation of what some believed after listening to Favorite Worst Nightmare, the Monkeys are changing, growing up if you will. But in my opinion that is for the best. The new sound they have unearthed for themselves consisted of sharp drumbeats and reverbed guitar melodies, and shows that the Arctic Monkeys are evolving and are not another one of 'those bands'.

Alex Turners lyrical skills are flawless on this album, he is a poet of modern music, my favorite examples of this are in Potion Approaching and Pretty Visitors. He has progressed from telling tales of winding up policemen (Riot Van) to love ballads like Cornerstone. His voice (For lack of a better term) is bang-on for this album, especially on The Fire And The Thud. His voice and the music become a single sound throughout the album and merge together magnificently.

This album is a slow burner, it takes several listens to grasp the dramtic change from the previous albums, but once it does hit it becomes a magnificant musical achievement for the band that originally sung songs about trying to get into clubs. But even for the amazing sound and great lyrics, this is still my least favorite Arctic Monkeys album, but isn't that a sign of a great band, some people might believe they are gradually outdating but let me assure you this album is essential for anyone who loves the Arctic Monkeys and for anyone else that wishes to hear a great modern album. 01. My Propeller: at first you may belive it is a somewhat dreary start to the album, but like a lot of the songs on the album it will grow on you. 8/10 02. Crying Lightning: a song made with a chorus that will have people singing along at live gigs 8/10 03. Dangerous Animals: very good lyrically but i cant help but find the parts of it annoying. 7/10 04. Secret Door: great song with different parts with different tempos and moods, very catchy chorus. 8/10 05. Potion Approaching: one of the best of the lot, with an abrupt ending that captures the essence of the album 9/10 06. Fire And The Thud: good song with catchy chorus and melodic guitar playing. 8/10 07. Cornerstone: magnificent song that will have you engrossed in the story as well as the music 9/10 08. Dance Little Liar: the most unArcticMonkeyish your ever going to hear but it is a good way to show the evolution of the band 7/10 09. Pretty Visitors: this is the highlight of the album for me, it is a lyrical masterpiece and has a verse that stays true the Arctic Monkesy of old. 10/10 10. The Jeweler's Hand: great ending to the album as Turners voice drowns over the music and a large variety of instruments 9/10

Grohlism
    This album needs at least 3 listens to become great. I know loads people who hate it but all of them gave it no more than 1 listen. Overall I'd say it almost equals Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.