Humbug review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Aug 24, 2009
Arctic Monkeys: Humbug

When I start writing about this album, I remebered almost automatically about the first video from the arctic monkeys, called "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor", you see, comparing that single with "Crying Lightning", the band's new single, it's almost obvious the different style that each song has, Humbug proportionates a really well worked sound, really heading into Alternative Rock mixed with Indie, Humbug has a more... let's say dark sound, it's more mature, the guitar riifs and the battery and the bass it's all really well put together, and there is, of course, the main factor for this change of sound, it's their producer (at least in my opinion), that is Queens of the Stone Age's singer wich I'm trying my best to remeber his name right now but I can't, Arctic Monkeys have been changing their style since their second album, but in Humbug they have reached, I believed the top of this change. I still enjoy a lot the Arctic Monkeys, maybe because I'm a fan til' death. I believe that the thing you can highlight from the whole album is the harmony between the guitar and Alex's voice, that's something that they always were good at, harmonizing the instruments.

I've always enjoyed Alex Turner's lyrics because they were never too deep and neither too dumb, it's like in the half. You can surely enjoy his lyrics, but its kind of hard for you to fall in love with them. For example, in the number 4, "Secret Door", it's a really alternative type of lyric, really metaphoric kind of lyric. Alex has always been writing this way pretty much since "Five minutes with Arctic Monkeys" which is a not recognized studio album of 5 songs... What impressed me the most was definitely The jeweler's hand lyric, I believe is the most odd kind of lyric in the all album, and definitely the most deep one, I'm not gonna talk about what it means to me, but I believe that everyone, after listening to this song, will realize that is a really well worked lyric and well adapted to the band.

Ok, now here comes the hard part, is Humbug the best album of the Arctic Monkeys so far? Well, in my opinion, is the best album, because the lyrics are more mature and the music is much more worked out. It's not my favorite album of the Arctic Monkeys, because I love the first one that sounded just like they were recording in their garage or something, which is something really cool. A thing that I love about this album is that the Monkeys have finally found their sound, and I know that if they stay playing like this they will get to the top easily... or maybe not, who knows? A thing I hated about the album... let me see... the fact that it still not on sale in my city in Brazil hehe... This is an album that perhaps you're not going to listen to it 4 times a day just like the first or the second one, but it's definitely an album that you have to listen and you must have it, because it's simply a genius work. Another thing to be said is that, another bands I like, for example The Killers or Korn or even, yes... even... it hurst me deep to say this... even Pearl Jam have always when realeasing 3 albums, at least one of them, has been a deception, not because it wasn't good, but because it wasn't good enough compared with the other albums, more especifically, The Killers with Day and Age completely dissapoint me, when I was expecting for another "Uncle Johnny" or another "Mr. Brightside", they come'd out with "Spaceman"... it really let me down, but the Arctic Monkeys have three albums so far, and al of them have kept their level, thank you very much for your time.

Grohlism
    NickDillon wrote: Ironpriest wrote: and the singer was completely stoned anyway! Alex is a stoner? seems that way, everyone was saying he was slurring his speech, eyes drooped most of the time lol strange how the prodigy supported them, shouldve been the other way around
    The Prodigy are a drone and a bunch of stoners as well hypocrite!:@
    beineken
    MisterMarston, I completely agree with everything that you said, just to a lesser intensity. I think that the album lags in all of the ways mentioned, but I would have given it slightly higher scores. I want the Monkeys that gave me songs like "A Certain Romance" and "Do Me a Favour," as well songs that made me want to jump up and punch someone like "From the Ritz to the Rubble." While there are a decent amount of tracks on 'Humbug' that I dig (Pretty Visitors, Crying Lightning, Cornerstone, Secret Door), the gold is less consistent in my ears when listening to the album than how it was with their previous works, and I have listened to the whole album far more than 3 times.
    walrus-surlaw
    This album is seriously amazing.It takes a couple of listens but it's really the best album of the year in my opinion. It is dark and erie and AMAZING!!!!!
    Plug_In_Baby_
    I thought Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What Im Not was amazing. I thought Favourite Worst Nightmare was amazing and I thought Humbug was plain epic! I do miss the old Monkeys but i do think this is the way to go. Love Alexs lyrics "What came first the chicken or the dickheads?" haha awesome..
    hairypineapple
    So much more mature this album.. I've always liked Arctic Monkeys.. Now they have the Homme stamp on their sound.. Could it get any better?