Suck It and See review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jun 6, 2011
Arctic Monkeys: Suck It and See

The lads from Arctic Monkeys never fail to impress courtesy of their distorted guitars, excellent use of effects. Though they haven't incorporated and made use of as many guitar riffs like in their first two albums, the guitar work is still brilliant as it flows smoothly along with Turner's vocals. The melodic aspect of the album is simply brilliant and has a very '60s feel to it. 'Love is a Laserquest' is a testimony to this; simple yet brilliant. Their sound has definitely changed as they aren't as raunchier as they were in their previous albums. Another brilliant track would be 'The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala', the transition between bass and guitar parts is orchestrated in a very intricate manner. The use of the bass is very prominent throughout the entire album as it does stand out, out feature which is often overlooked by a number of bands. I would definitely say that Arctic Monkeys are a powerhouse in the indie scene as once you hit play on the CD, pushing stop is literally impossible. These lads define indie rock.

Turner's skill of writing is truly unique and we see that he continues with his unconventional still of writing; the comical aspects of his compositions are still very evident in this album, songs such as 'That's Where Your Wrong' and 'Reckless Serenade' portray this. The lyrics compliment the music marvelously, different and unique in almost every way. Turner's vocals abilities are sure to please fans and critics alike; although he does not hit the highest of notes his simple vocal style is still amiable and very enjoyable. The unconventional lyrics written by Turner are some of the key features that define Arctic Monkeys as a band and he did not disappoint on single bit. His writing gives the music a very psychedelic feel, hence the '60s remark made earlier.

I always say to my friends, 'The first album of any band you listen to will never compare to any other album by them you listen to.' In truth, that wouldn't be a fair judgment for this particular album as they have abandoned their garage rock sound and have gone for a more mellow sound in this particular album. Nonetheless, this defines a new direction the band is heading to in terms of their overall sound, one which I must say I'm quite enjoying. 'Love is a Laserquest' is definitely one of my favourite tracks on the record and I honestly don't see myself getting tired of it. 'The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala', from what I can see so far, is a favourite amongst fans. If my copy were stolen, I'd buy another one PLUS a back-up, and a back-up for the back-up; I'm enjoying it that much! Though not their most iconic album, it is definitely one that is very much enjoyable. I listened to the album without any expectations or prior opinions and I now hold it in high-regard.

Desmond-hume
    guy_tebache wrote: I feel like I should add: I'd MUCH rather they keep developing and working with new sounds, risking making stuff I dont like, rather than stick with the same old sound from any of their first three albums. Its ESSENTIAL that a band evolve.