Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

First of all, I have to say these guys are genius. This album shows lots of things, two of the most notable being: they write the best music in England and they aren't a half brilliant. They are the new brit-rock boys in town with no one in their way. Basically, every single song on this album would make a half-decent single. Musically, a work of art.

Alex Turner isn't the most talented singer, but he is brilliant. He sings with a talking voice with a tune to it and these lyrics all mean something. 'Mardy Bum' is about a nagging girlfriend, 'When The Sun Goes Down' is about a prostitute and 'Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secure' is about nights out. All these lyrics mean something. Genius. Absolute genius.

No one compares to Arctic Monkeys. In August, these guys hadn't even got a record label. But thanks to the internet, their debut hit single 'Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' went straight to number 1 in England. Their new single 'When The Sun Goes Down' has also been number 1 too. Literally, I cannot stress enough about how awesome these guys are.