Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The sound from this album is absolutely incredible. There isn't a single bad song on the album, and for being the most anticipated rock debut ever, it certainly does live up to it's expectations. The highlights of the album for me would be 'Mardy Bum' which has such an upbeat feel to it, despite the unpleasent type of relationship it's about. Fake Tales of San Francisco is another amazing track, and the instrumental endings on 'from the ritz to the rubble' and 'a certain romance' are absolutely incredible. A certain Romance is a particularly great song. It doesn't follow the traditional format of a song (verse bridge chorus), it has a start, a middle and an end and each one sounds great.

Most of the songs on this album are about Saturday night or sunday morning, and the lyrics definitly do reflect this particular part of the weekend. 'Last night what we talked about, made so much sense, but now the haze has ascended it don't make no sense anymore'. Lyrically my favourite songs are Mardy Bum and Riot Van. Mardy Bum is about a person in life that can be great fun and all that, but when they want they can be right hard to get on with. I think I like it so much because I can definitly think of people in my life that are like this, 'Oh mardy bum, I see your frown and it's like looking down the barrel of a gun'. Riot Van is quite comical, it tells the story of a group of kids getting in trouble with the police, but they don't seem bothered by it at all, they just 'Wind the coppers up'. 'have you been drinking son, you don't look old enough to me, I'm sorry officer is there a certain age you're supposed to be'

There's something about the Arctic Monkeys, it's a known fact they are going to be one of the biggest bands of 2006, if not THE biggest band of 2006. Their debut album has all ready sold over 360000 copies, making it the fastest selling debut ever. They are more than just an indie band, and this album prooves it. From the amazing fast paced catchy first single, 'I bet that you look good on the dancefloor' to the funkiness of 'you probably couldn't see for the lights but you were looking right at me' there isn't a single bad song on this album. To pick a favourite track would be too difficult, there are just too many brilliant tracks. It's only January and I can all ready say with confidence this could well be the best cd of this year.