Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The sound of the Arctic Monkeys is relatively simple; there's nothing here to disappoint you, but similarly there's nothing to astound you. The songs are built around pretty basic riffs, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but the hype surrounding the band would perhaps lead you to believe there's a little more substance than you will find. I can't fault the energy of the music, but over the course of forty minutes I personally started to long for a little more variety. Riot Van is probably the only song that steps away from the sound, but that, in my opinion, is at best an album filler.

The lyrics, on the other hand, are outstanding. This is the reason that I love the album; at times Alex Turner is an accidental comedy genius, and his ability to capture the everyday is unparalleled in today's modern music scene. Don't get me wrong, as a songwriter myself I generally find it easier to write in the vein of the so-called 'big bands', but that doesn't mean to say I can't appreciate the ideas on offer in these songs.

For a debut album, this is very good, just not as good as people would have you believe. There are some brilliant tracks on the album (Dancefloor, Sun Goes Down, Fake Tales Of San Francisco), but the other ten songs don't quite reach up to those high standards. It may well be the fastest selling debut album of all time, but put up against its predecessor (Oasis' Definitely Maybe) it is comparitively short on songs which are 'single quality'. A good album nonetheless though, and definitely the benchmark for the rest of 2006.