Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

When I first listened to the album I noticed a very unique sound from all the songs. The pingy distortion gives the arctic monkeys a distinctive sound and to be fair with all the hype, the least that can be said is that the albums sound is certainly original. This could be seen as a dance/rock genre and it's music that rock kids can actually dance to as opposed to moshing.

The lyrics on this album are like rough diamonds, everyday stuff sung and mixed into a beat, in a way that makes it seem cool yet close to the heart and genuine. Without good lyrcs there can be no good music and vice versa. To try and hear what the lead singer is saying is difficult but when you do make it out you'll be thinking to yourself "That's a good point actually." You'll be grinning at the social overtones of the lyrics, not dealing with politics or religion but rather dealing with problems you have going out on a saturday night and the police and kids causing havoc around the estates they live in. They kept it real and said what thought and meant in their songs. The lyrics are offbeat but that's why people like this band so much; they are seen as non-corformists even in the rock world. The outlook of the band could quite rightly be described as narrow minded and self obsessed but that's all part of an image and that image comes across in this post grunge/garage music.

The sheer lack of fluidity of music and lyrics gives the Arctic Monkeys a punk sounding album but if you think about it they aren't particularly punk, just a bunch of mates who strum good chords and talk about stuff. Reminiscent of Oasis, they don't seem to care for long lasting hooks but it's time for the rock kids who sit in the corner to get on their feet. Clearly an album with negative mixed in with a positive message, this is an example of how music should be made; with vigor and without an egotistical tone saying that 'We are better than you', although to be fair there is a hint of it. These guys are similar to a lot of bands yes but I think the difference is that other bands worry too much about image rather than making good tunes, in my opinion Bloc Party did the job of making dance worthy music but clearly these fellas are more in touch with working class people and have an idea of what's going on in the real world, there are negative aspects like a clear urgency to intentially manipulate accents in singing but this is what makes this band so appealing to many. Could be improved upon but still very good effort at an album.

Altered Ego
    Lyrically and energetically the album is dynamic. The vibe is tight throughout - and the topic in question anyone who goes out with the lads come friday will get "ritz to..." and "mardy bum" you got a missus, you know it makes sense. Mike skinner with a guitar? possibly. You have to love this album! especially if you've been in the riot van a couple times
    [Dake]
    Pfffff... I think, me, that it's useless to try to explain the sound you hear when you listen to this CD. I have listen to him at least 100 during first month (iTunes count). This record is amazing. I like every songs except Riot Van, too slow i think. But listen to all their demos and EPs on http://arctic-monkeys.com . There are free legal mp3s. This band is... AH i stop trying to explain what i'm feeling about it... I'm french, and they make me want to be english, our french sound is so bad is you compare to english bands... LOVE ARCTIC MONKEYS !!!!
    crimson_king
    this is just THE must have indie album of the year. every track has to be listened too without no breaks. I FUCKIN LOVE THEM!!!!
    sigimaster14
    The CD is great good rifs perfect timing try playing ''perhaps vampires is a bit strong but'' thats easy to play but sounds great on gitar
    rich420
    69.so.fine wrote: "if not THE biggest band of 2006. Their debut album has all ready sold over 360000 copies, making it the fastest selling debut ever." Yeah, right. 360,000 isn't a lot, and they certainly aren't the fastest selling. Get your facts straight. Erm...it was the fastest selling debut album ever... Great album.
    haha, OWNED! this album is brilliant, i liked that one review where he said his favourite songs were the 2 singles out so far, hmmm, coincidence or conspiracy?
    rich420
    i think people who dont like them cant relate to the lyrics, if you can relate to them i dont see how you cant like them, awesome lyrics, great music, good drummer.
    Rising Force
    muzz666
    Rising Force wrote: have any of you ever heard about the guy called Yngwie Malmsteen,after listening to him, there is no other group or guitarist that sounds good
    You close-minded fool. Shame on you
    houseofllama
    Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secure is one of the best songs I've heard from a band as new as these guys are...the lyrics, the music, everything on this album is spot on...they are not overrated at all... BUY THIS ALBUM...
    Daniel Pearce