Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The Arctic Monkeys are well known for their bass and two guitars, and even drums for that matter, which produce litrally stunning moments of sound. Such talent saturated all the way through. Every song is detailed with truly amazing stuff with the odd solo blasting out the amp. The teen's certaintly have a fair few jealous of their guitars (including me)! If your quite advanced in guitar playing then these songs were designed for you! Although a rock band the three songs: A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum and Riot Van which go quite slow but steady pace but still producing the pure quality you bought the album for. Steady beats and thumbs up all round.

Their songs have meanings and good morals mainly talking about things in a teenager's world or eyes. The lyrics are something special. Alex Turner: Vocals fits a few long sentances into tight rhythms. For example in the cool song: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, the line: "But this lad at the side drinking a Smirnoff ice came and payed for her tropical reef" really shows talent and the use of company names is cool. And also their strong Sheffeild accents help promote that more than how good the song already is. The words arn't necessarily on the beat which is a nice and rock-y genre. The lyrics of the Arctic Monks are really something to look up to if starting a new band. It's as if Alex is a walking dictionary or's looked every single word up in the dictionary for a better one to replace it when producong these songs.

Overall this is defiently a must-buy. One word, attidude. Whatever they do they keep their cool even enphersizing on only 3 notes as shown in the song: Still Take You Home' Intro. If I lost this I'd certaintly buy another one and even if that one's lot I'd probably do the same. Hey, but why and how could it be lost? I take great care putting it into the CD case or drive! These are my second fab band to The Strokes who I've wrote a reveiw of their latest album if you'd like to see that. Talking about the Strokes they are probably one of The Monks' biggest rivals I expect. The teens really stand out in music as they let everyone know in this album. Best songs, well all the songs are the best but I'd say the two very best would be: Still Take You Home and A Certain Romance. Smoking, girls, late-night drinking, fights, drugs, alcohol, money galore it's all mixed and packed in the songs. Having sold over 350,000 copies of this album in the first week of it being in the shops I'm not surprised, and titled fastest ever selling dubet album, blimey. I must mention what a good band name they've chosen. Having impressed the U.k and the US, I'd say the band of '06.