Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The Arctic Monkeys have a unique sound. Though some say that they sound too much like Oasis or other big English bands, these guys throw in their own little touches to make it their own. With their big single, "I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor" they establish a fair representation of their style. Though it can get repetitive at times, they will throw in something different just when it's needed to spice up the album. Some songs of note are: The View From The Afternoon, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Looking Right At Me, Mardy Bum, When the Sun Goes Down, A Certain Romance. These songs got just the right amount of playtime, though mostly on satellite radio now. Just enough to be popular, but not so much that the songs are grating. The album is alays refreshing.

If you aren't from the UK, the singing style may take some getting used to, but that shouldn't be considered a fault. If anything, it adds some style to every song. I don't know if I can call it singing though. It's more of a sing-talk. He is essentially talking lyrically. It does help people sing along though, increasing the party factor. The lyrics are extremely catchy too, especiall in "From The Ritz To The Rubble."

It's a great album, essential for a house party. Almost all of the songs make good dance songs and their great for getting everyonw moving. The songs and lyrics work really well together, and the fact that the guitarist hasn't been playing for very long earns the Arctic Monkeys some bonus points. What I found interesting though is that the versions of songs played on videos and satellite radio differ from those found on the album, most noticeably "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor." In any case, the album is great, definitely check it out to see if it matches your tastes. Chances are, it will.

break-me-in
    "Possibly the most important record of the 21st Century!"
    Ok, it's good, but don't take it too far.
    it is the fastest selling Rock/Alternative/Pop-Rock album which indicates that the moron some posts above me is wrong, they obviously are not over-rated!
    Look up overrated! Album sales aren't proof that the band are good. THE MUSIC IS. After all, I could probably find a musician you thought sucked that has sold lots of albums. To those who are bitching about how they're overrated: Sure they are, but so are Oasis, the Beatles, the Sex Pistols, Queen, the Ramones, Green Day, Nirvana and about a billion others, but that does not change the fact that all these bands are good. Yes, I called the Beatles overrated. So shoot me! *rolls eyes*
    libertine1989
    they bore me personally. only track that really stands out is "...dancefloor" very much a band of the moment... i doubt anyone will talk about them in years to come
    DMac91
    I ****in love them im from ireland but they are still my fav band way better than u2 their lyrics are brilliant and there still only 19 cant wait for next album!!!
    AAAAAAAAAARGH
    Green_Day_Rock wrote: Most overrated band ever. No questions.
    That's hilarious coming from a green day fan.
    eggy1991
    Strokesofgenius wrote: itwas only fastest selling in the uk
    no, not true, well it is, but it was also infact, the fastest selling debut album, selling out all 600,000 first produced discs in teh first week. it is the astest selling Rock/Alternative/Pop-Rock album which indicates that the moron some posts above me is wrong, they obviously are not over-rated!