Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Arctic Monkey's album was overhyped to the max but it doesn't stop it being the best album of 2006. The band as a whole sound fnatastic the bass lines are fantastic with some great drumming. The rhythm guitarist is quite talented considering he's only been playing for a few years. However the most important part of the Arctic Monkeys is their lead guitartist and singer, Alex Turner. His voice is what gives the band their individual sounds and sets them apart from other bands in the genre. He comes up with some fantastic riffs and solos and make the band what they are.

The lyrics are a part of the Arctic Monkeys that puts them ahead of the band. The lyrics are about modern day life, going out on friday nights. Turner is as much a great lyricist as he is a great story-teller, this is what makes his lyrics so intresting. Each song is telling it's own story and the stand-out of these is the beautiful Riot Van. He talks about being chased by the police and when they catch him he gives these fantastic lyrics 'Have you been drinking son, you don't look old enough to me, I'm sorry officer is there a certain age you're supposed to be, cos nobody told me'. This shows how witty Alex Turner is.

In terms of other albums in the genre it blows them out of the pond and emerges as by far the best album of 2006. The best song in the album is Mardy Bum and this easily goes down as one of my favourite songs ever. The opening guitar riff with the fantastic singing and beautiful lyrics throughout makes it a top quality song. There are some other gems on the album as well such as Scummy, starting off a slow acoustic song and turning into a great rock song. The album is finished with A Certain Romance, another fantastic song. Telling another great story as Turner does so well. There is nothing I dislike about this album it is truly top quality. If it were stolen or lost I would have to buy it again because it is easily one of my favourite albums.

soupdragon
    AAAAARGH wrote: Green_Day_Rock wrote: Most overrated band ever. No questions. That's hilarious coming from a green day fan.
    Lol. AAAAARGH has got a point there, matey .
    DamoYoung wrote: Best album ever made.Simple as that....Im finished.
    He's got a point too. Arctic monkeys are the best
    Amalgam
    they bore me personally. only track that really stands out is "...dancefloor" very much a band of the moment... i doubt anyone will talk about them in years to come
    Download "Who the F**k Are Arctic Monkeys" Listen to the title track, and then look at it's lyrics