Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not review by Arctic Monkeys

• Released: Jan 23, 2006
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

The Arctic Monkeys delivered an absolutely eternal, classic debut. In my opinion, one of the best debut albums in the alternative/indie rock genre. Mixed with fast powerchord guitar riffs, thundering drums, smooth basslines and sleazy vocals, The Arctic Monkeys dominated the scene with this album, which includes their hits: "When The Sun Goes Down", "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and "Fake Tales Of San Francisco". The album definitely shows that is the "early" Arctic Monkeys, as it is much more faster and louder than any of their later albums. This album is one of their greatest albums, if not the best. Tracklist: 1. "The View From The Afternoon" - A good, strong, catchy track. Great opener for the album. 2. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" - An absolute classic! A rocking, catchy song that will get everyone moving! 3. "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" - Another rocking anthem! A great song backed by a prominent riff and rhythm. 4. "Dancing Shoes" - A great song. Really catchy with a great guitar-line. 5. "You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Staring Straight At Me" - A good song with catchy vocals and riffs. Great melody in it. 6. "Still Take You Home" - An absolute pumper! A really fast, catchy tune. One of my favourite Arctic Monkeys songs. 7. "Riot Van" - A slow, chill track. A great song, it focuses a lot on the lyrics more so than other tracks. 8. "Red Lights Indicate Doors Are Secured" - A good song with a catchy, strong guitar-line. Possibly the weakest track on the album but still a good tune. 9. "Mardy Bum" - Another slow-ish track, but still really melodic and catchy. One of their hits. 10. "Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..." - A really catchy song. A tad underrated. 11. "When The Sun Goes Down" - Another hit and classic! Great use of dynamics. Great guitars and drums in it! 12. "From The Ritz To The Rubble" - Such an underrated song! One of my personal favourites. Really catchy vocals supported by a great bassline. 13. "A Certain Romance" - A really great song! A slower song with a catchy melody. A good song to end the album on..

This album's lyrics mainly consist of activities in night clubs, which perfectly suit the tempo of the fast-paced riffs. This theme is obvious in the tracks: "The View From The Afternoon", "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor", "Dancing Shoes", "Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Looking Straight At Me", "Still Take You Home" and "From Ritz To The Rubble". "Riot Van" seems to be about male adolescents being in trouble with the law, possibly based on past experience of the band in their youth. "Mardy Bum" is probably the most personal song on the album, lyric-wise. It seems to deal with a relationship. "When The Sun Goes Down" stands out lyrically as it deals with the subject of prostitution. The lyrics in the album are well planned out and work well with the music. Alex Turner delivers them superbly, with his distinct vocal style and snarling, strong British accent.

Overall, this album is absolutely brilliant. The catchy melodies, well planned out guitar-lines, smooth but quick basslines, the fast thundering drums and, of course, Turner's excellent vocals which deliver the lyrics perfectly. This album is very unique; I couldn't find a band that compares to it, so I admire the Arctic Monkeys for dominating the scene with such a unique, rocking album. Again, this album is much more faster, heavier and in-your-face more so than "Favourite Worst Nightmare", "Humbug" and "Suck It And See", which are the albums that show how they gradually mature but still deliver classic tunes. This is one of my favourite debut albums ever and I'd encourage anyone to give a listen!

YouTube preview picture