Army Of Anyone review by Army of Anyone

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Army of Anyone: Army Of Anyone

Underrated is a word that gets thrown a lot these days. Any band that doesn't appear in the top 40 gets called "underrated" by fans. Never has the word been more needed than in the case of Army of Anyone. For anyone who is not familiar, Army of Anyone is the Deleo brothers (from Stone Temple Pilots) and Richard Patrick, the singer from Filter, with Ray Luzier (from David Lee Roth's band) on the skins. The band sounds exactly like you would imagine, STP with Filter's vocals. And while Army of Anyone's roster is enough to give them the status of "supergroup", the band is still relatively underground. Dean and Robert Deleo are two great songwriters. If they didn't prove themselves in Stone Temple Pilots, they do here. While most of the guitar and bass isn't extremely difficult, it all sounds well crafted. The solos sound great, they may not be full of epic shreddery, but they are tasteful enough to actually compliment the song. Most of the music is your typical balls-out rock-n-roll, although the album has two terrific acoustic ballads ("A Better Place", "This Wasn't Supposed to Happen"). Ray Luzier also proves to be a drummer up to par. He even sounds like Eric Kretz (former STP), completing the Stone Temple Pilots sound.

The lyrics to Army of Anyone's selftitled effort are a little better than what you'd expect from Richard Patrick. While I'm not a big fan of Filter's lyrics, here, he does a good job. Patrick is also a good singer, he throws out some good yells and croons on this album, showing more versatility than he normally would. I hate to compare, but he's not as good as Scott Weiland was and not as versatile. The melodies and harmonies are good and well crafted.

If I had to compare this band to another, it would obviously be Stone Temple Pilots. Similar bands would be Alice in Chains, Audioslave or Foo Fighters. Army of Anyone's selftitled album is a more solid effort than either album by Velvet Revolver. The songs to check out are: the single "Goodbye", "Father Figure" and the closer "This Wasn't Supposed to Happen". At it's best, Army of Anyone is a band that established itself as a solid rock force, and at it's worst, it's just another rock band. If this album were stolen, I'd probably buy it again. Hopefully, if the album sells well enough Army of Anyone will consider recording a new album, however with current sales this looks doubtful. So if you're a fan of Filter, Stone Temple Pilots, or 90's rock, give this album a listen. You won't regret it.

kfong03
    i dunno...heard some tracks on the web and found some live vids on youtube...dun get me wrong i'm fanatical about STP but iono about AOA, no offense but the deleo bros seem to have slightly lost their touch...but at least it's not crap mainstream emo stuff
    James_Calalo
    i haven't heard the whole album since it was not available in philippines but I will try to download the whole thing give it a chance to be heard...the only track i heard is "Good bye" which really reminds me of their previous bands which is fantastic cool song very strong riffs and words