A Celebration Of Guilt Review

artist: Arsis date: 05/29/2009 category: compact discs
Arsis: A Celebration Of Guilt
Released: Mar 30, 2004 (N. America) / Jul 11, 2005 (International)
Genre: Melodic death metal / Thrash metal / Technical death metal / Heavy metal
Label: Willowtip Records / Earache Records
 9.4
 9.7
 9.1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
A Celebration Of Guilt Reviewed by: The JesterHead, on may 29, 2009

Sound: From the moment I pressed the "play" button, this album was just... Wow. "A Celebration of Guilt" opens up with "The Face of My Innocence", a really catchy song, both vocally and instrumentally, progressing through "Carnal Ways to Recreate the Heart", and ending with the excellent "Wholly Night". The 45 minutes of the album just passed by so quickly, and that's a sign of something being done right and interesting. Arsis' sound can be best described as Technical Melodic Death Metal, spiced up with some good ol' Thrash. Due to this, although a lot more extreme, some may find the sound on this album to resemble certain moments of bands such as At the Gates or Carcass. To sum it all up, shredding guitars and fast melodies are the best words to describe what this album sounds like, and damn it's good! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are half the "me and you" kind of lyrics, and half critic of the world - resembling despair, loss and similar subjects. So it's a matter of taste which you prefer, although I think both sides will be quite pleased with how the lyrics turned out - as they are written in a very intelligent matter. The way they're sung is kind of... throaty, as I read somewhere and couldn't agree more. Also, it sometimes tends to switch to a more "Black Metal" kind of singing, but when summed up - it leaves one recognizing Arsis easily, making the band different from others - and that I fully respect. // 9

Overall Impression: "A Celebration of Guilt" is best compared with albums such as "Defiant Imagination" by Quo Vadis. The best way to describe it would be by saying "This album is just like Defiant Imagination, only done in a more mischievous manner." And I loved "Defiant Imagination", so this album is just as good to me. My favorite track is probably the opening track, "The Face of My Innocence" - a very catchy, memorable and simply awesome song. Everything about this album is simply great to me, a classic album, and I'd most probably get it again if it were stolen or lost. If not for the music, then for the awesome artwork! // 10

Comments