We Are The Nightmare review by Arsis

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Arsis: We Are The Nightmare

James Malone's guitar skill has always been impressive on the three releases before this one, and nothing has changed for We Are The Nightmare. Crushing guitars and Yngwie Malmsteen-esc sweep solos, death growls, double bass drumming, this album is perfect for any metal head. This album is the first album to be released after signing with Nuclear Blast Records. You can tell just by listening to anything this band puts out that James Malone will be the next Yngwie Malmsteen. His influence is clearly heard in James' solos.

The lyrics work very well with the music. Songs about death, dying, internal struggles, politics, the works. The singer is good at what he does, sounds like a much more improved Alexi Laiho. It's about what you would expect from a death metal album. If you are familiar with the band's earlier albums, then you should be able to get a good feel about what direction the lyrics head in.

After listening to A Celebration Of Guilt, Diamond For Disease, and United In Regret, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this album. I was surprised and very excited to hear the band signed onto Nuclear Blast Records. Fans of Kalmah, Children Of Bodom, Ensiferum, and other bands of the like, or just metal heads in general, will absolutely love this disc. I love how Arsis manages to keep their style the same without just writing the same stuff from previous albums. standout tracks in my opinion would be We Are The Nightmare, Servants To The Night, and Overthrown. And as far as if this album were stolen, I would find the person who stole it and hurt him in unimaginable ways and get my disc back, and then go out a buy another copy to celebrate by accomplishment. Fans of heavy metal should definitely pick this one up.

Jonzors
    sorry buddy just a little awe struck by how quick you were to bash someone's hard work, not a good trait IMO
    Fux51[FZK]
    123-Trav wrote: The^Unforgiven wrote: Man this is some kickass shit! It reminds me of a hybrid of old and new Avenged Sevenfold, both with a better singer (don't like the voice of M Shadows!) and a bit more hardcore. Just the way I love it > /,,/ WHAT? A tech-death metal band reminds you of A7X????? And not only A7X, but new A7X!??!? *disbelief* Damn I like this album a lot. I disagree with the above comment about them sounding like every other tech death band. Usually your eardrums are getting obliterated by and indecipherable (and same-y) wall of pummeling fury. To me these songs sound a lot more individual when compared to other bands, with memorable guitar work on every track.
    Yeah, I don't see the A7X comparison. And I was also about to say that they sound very little like most death-tech bands. I didn't like them before, but I wasn't one for tech death in those times. I've noticed that there are two schools of tech death. The Gorguts blugeoning brutality and the Necrophagist twiddly's. I love both bands, but don't like the mass of clones they have produced. Except Cephalic Carnage and a couple others. Arsis has influences from both and some melodeath in between At The Gates and The Black Dahlia Murder. Actually they're kinda of like TBDM, but with more technical and memorable songs. In short, they sound like Arsis.
    freedomdeceptiv
    the reason all tech death sounds pretty similar is because its all generally mid to high range and very very fast. it takes a lot of listens to really enjoy it because it is difficult (at least for me) to remember songs on just a casual listen, especially if they are fast and technical (bassically the definition of tech death). i just downloaded a whole lot of tech death albums and each artist has a different style but all of their songs sound kinda similar.
    Matetz
    It's a bit too...poppy for my taste. Sounds like CoB with eviler vocals. But I just can't stand those permanent shredding; it annoys me so much. "OH MY GAWD LOOK AT ME I CAN SHRED SO GOOD I GOTTA RUIN MY WHOLE ALUM WITH IT XDD". Probably it's a really good album but I just don't like it. :/
    Unskathed
    This album is amazing. Overthrown is the best song Arsis has ever written. Celebration was good, but some of the riffs were lame, A Diamond For Disease was obviously a masterpiece, but United In Regret was just a rehashed Celebration. The addition of Ryan Knight basically put this band where it needed to be. Malone needed some more input or else Arsis would've gotten boring, just like Necrophagist.
    crocoscar
    You sir should stop listening to music forever This album is definitely a masterpiece. Technical yet melodic and various riffs, immaculate, fast and beautiful soli and catchy drumming, all of this honoured by a wonderfully clean production. This is, with Origin's Antithesis, the highlight of the 2008 year so far !
    sunofnothing4
    JeremyShredz wrote: Some people really have no clue. Many of the comments above make me actually want to stop using the internet. We Are The Nightmare is a masterpiece. That's the only way to put it. I gave the album a 10. It is the best metal album from a guitar perspective that I have heard in years. Comparing it to A Celebration Of Guilt is actually ridiculous. I have followed Arsis ever since they released their debut and was always a huge fan, but anyone who thinks that album tops We Are The Nightmare, just doesn't understand. When Arsis released United In Regret I was a little let down. But this album really impressed me and redeemed themselves. It is leagues ahead of anything they have ever done. Anything anyone has ever done. Barely any death metal bands shred these days. The ones who do, don't know how to do it right. They don't know how to keep it tasty. As much as I love bands like Necrophagist, it just gets repetitive and boring after a while. It's not tasteful shred, it's just shred. I have been waiting for something like this to come out for years, from any band. I wasn't surprised that Arsis was the one to pull it off. If I were to compare this album to anything I think that I would say it's like Children Of Bodom's Hatebreeder, on crack. I think the Yngwie comparison is okay as well.
    metallipath6
    That was far too bold. This album is definitely not their best. Atheist, Death and Cynic rule death metal... IMO. But then again they are Progressive Death and not Tech-Death.
    JeremyShredz
    Black-Goat
    its a f*cking masterpiece! this album is just perfect! is way much better than the others ... i dont have more words to describe it xD!
    Hypocrisy4893
    its badass that they signed with Nuclear Blast Records, its fitting, they sound so much like a mix between old and new Hypocrisy
    Nightstrider
    This album was definitely a let down for me. Too much wankery, not enough riffs, and pretty bad triggers. Aside from A Diamond for Disease , they've never released anything that can compare with their debut.
    123-Trav
    Nightstrider
    What, just because I had the first comment? I complemented their first two releases, yet I can't voice an opinion that isn't "OMG THIS ROXXORZ!!!1"? Come now, you know nothing about any of my personality traits from one comment on one album. Why is it people on this site seem to have a real problem with reviews or opinions that don't go along the lines of "this is teh bestest album evah!". Arsis aren't a bad band, but this isn't a particularly good album. Sounds just like every other tech death band, though it does have its moments.
    Nightstrider
    So I have to make an album before I can offer my opinion on music? That's the worst "arguement" ever. I wish I could like this album, but it sounds like just about every other tech death band, musically. I love the A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond for Disease , both of which were remarkable combinations of melody, technicality and stellar songwriting. This album just lacks power and memorability for me. It seems like they've given up most of what made them so distinctive and so great. And if you don't like my opinion, ignore it, or cover your ears (eyes) and yell "I CANT HEAR YOU" at the top of your lungs if it makes you feel better.
    Jonzors
    I can't wait for Nightstriders album, since this musical work of art was a let down to him... I love it, it's great music
    limpdogskip
    I would not compare James to Yngwie. Arsis does some really awesome riffs and totally badass drumming. Yngwie just jerks off his guitar for 45 minutes. Michael Romeo is pretty awesome though. I did feel there was a little too much solo stuff in this album. That didn't make it bad; it was just a slight change. It kind of added a thrashier sound to it all. On the whole, I would say this album is just "good Arsis." None of the tracks really stood out as much as on Celebration of Guilt (maybe I just havent' listened to it enough yet), but it was an enjoyable listen. They shouldn't have changed their tone though.
    Quantonyne
    having no knowledge of arsis before i got this cd i am excited to hear their older stuff...
    TiDyCaTT900
    Arsis is a great metal band. and this album looks really good although I havnt heard it..
    Teabag of Truth
    Their stuff was better when it was just James and Michael. Not that it's bad now, it was just better then.
    metal7690
    First of all, if I had to compare James' playing to any neo-classical shredder, it'd be Michael Romeo, hands down. Second of all this review really doesn't do the album justice at all. It's an amazing piece of work, and it's starting to grow on me to the point where I'll throw it up there with the debut. Great stuff.
    The^Unforgiven