We Are The Nightmare review by Arsis

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Arsis: We Are The Nightmare

This is a good album but it cannot compare with the album "A Celebration of Guilt" or the EP "A Diamond for Disease" but this album is overall pretty good. Although in my opinion they overdid the technical in this album and some songs are just technical wankery and are really not what I have expected of Arsis. I think that this album sounds like a Necrophagist album only without the deep vocals. This album is sort of a letdown for me because there is not enough melody in it and there is too much technical in it unlike their earlier work, its not a bad album but its just not as great as their first 2 albums.

The lyrics are focusing about things like death, failure and nightmares/dreams. Their lyrics really differ from the other 3 albums because the first 3 were about how James Malone screwed up in his life, angry and bitter feelings toward a person, and more of the you and I situations. The lyrics fit quite well with the music and James' vocals sound alot like the vocals you would hear in a black metal band and the kind you would most likely not hear in death metal.

My opinion on the songs: 01.We Are The Nightmare: I didn't really like it at first but then I learned to like it after listening to it a couple of times. 02.Shattering The Spell: an OK song the solo has a good melody but I can't say the same for the other parts of the song. 03.Sightless Wisdom: another OK song its not really great but its kinda cathchy 04.Servants To The Night: this is a good example of the overdone technicallity in the album. In my opinion its not a good song really. 05.Failing Winds Of Hopeless Greed: a good recovery,its a good song with some cool melody and catchy rythms and some really badass drum licks. 06.Overthrown: another OK song nothing great about this one. 07.Progressive Entrapment: the solo is cool and most of the song has some pretty good guitar work this is a pretty good song. 08.A Feast For The Liar's Tongue: not a good song at all for me 09.My Oath to Madness: a decent song but the solo has too much technical. 10.Failure's Conquest: a good ending song it alternates with the technical and melody.

huevos
    freedomdeceptiv wrote: the reason all tech death sounds pretty similar is because its all generally mid to high range and very very fast. it takes a lot of listens to really enjoy it because it is difficult (at least for me) to remember songs on just a casual listen, especially if they are fast and technical (bassically the definition of tech death). i just downloaded a whole lot of tech death albums and each artist has a different style but all of their songs sound kinda similar.
    The Augury would like to have a word with you. Although 90% of tech is basically just widdle-widdle, blastbeats here, more noodling, a solo, and the outro.
    tds157
    This isn't just technical shit, this is technical AND melodic, not too much shreddering. I love the very clear sound. My favorite songs are We Are the Nightmare, Overthrown and a Failure's Conquest, which is the best song I've ever heard