We Are The Nightmare Review

Genres: Death Metal
 8.7
 9.4
We Are The Nightmare Reviewed by: Neverhead666, on april 17, 2008

Sound: James Malone's guitar skill has always been impressive on the three releases before this one, and nothing has changed for We Are The Nightmare. Crushing guitars and Yngwie Malmsteen-esc sweep solos, death growls, double bass drumming, this album is perfect for any metal head. This album is the first album to be released after signing with Nuclear Blast Records. You can tell just by listening to anything this band puts out that James Malone will be the next Yngwie Malmsteen. His influence is clearly heard in James' solos. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics work very well with the music. Songs about death, dying, internal struggles, politics, the works. The singer is good at what he does, sounds like a much more improved Alexi Laiho. It's about what you would expect from a death metal album. If you are familiar with the band's earlier albums, then you should be able to get a good feel about what direction the lyrics head in. // 8

Overall Impression: After listening to A Celebration Of Guilt, Diamond For Disease, and United In Regret, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this album. I was surprised and very excited to hear the band signed onto Nuclear Blast Records. Fans of Kalmah, Children Of Bodom, Ensiferum, and other bands of the like, or just metal heads in general, will absolutely love this disc. I love how Arsis manages to keep their style the same without just writing the same stuff from previous albums. standout tracks in my opinion would be We Are The Nightmare, Servants To The Night, and Overthrown. And as far as if this album were stolen, I would find the person who stole it and hurt him in unimaginable ways and get my disc back, and then go out a buy another copy to celebrate by accomplishment. Fans of heavy metal should definitely pick this one up. // 9

We Are The Nightmare Reviewed by: Asskicker1020, on september 04, 2009

Sound: This is a good album but it cannot compare with the album "A Celebration of Guilt" or the EP "A Diamond for Disease" but this album is overall pretty good. Although in my opinion they overdid the technical in this album and some songs are just technical wankery and are really not what I have expected of Arsis. I think that this album sounds like a Necrophagist album only without the deep vocals. This album is sort of a letdown for me because there is not enough melody in it and there is too much technical in it unlike their earlier work, its not a bad album but its just not as great as their first 2 albums. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are focusing about things like death, failure and nightmares/dreams. Their lyrics really differ from the other 3 albums because the first 3 were about how James Malone screwed up in his life, angry and bitter feelings toward a person, and more of the you and I situations. The lyrics fit quite well with the music and James' vocals sound alot like the vocals you would hear in a black metal band and the kind you would most likely not hear in death metal. // 8

Overall Impression: My opinion on the songs: 01.We Are The Nightmare: I didn't really like it at first but then I learned to like it after listening to it a couple of times. 02.Shattering The Spell: an OK song the solo has a good melody but I can't say the same for the other parts of the song. 03.Sightless Wisdom: another OK song its not really great but its kinda cathchy 04.Servants To The Night: this is a good example of the overdone technicallity in the album. In my opinion its not a good song really. 05.Failing Winds Of Hopeless Greed: a good recovery,its a good song with some cool melody and catchy rythms and some really badass drum licks. 06.Overthrown: another OK song nothing great about this one. 07.Progressive Entrapment: the solo is cool and most of the song has some pretty good guitar work this is a pretty good song. 08.A Feast For The Liar's Tongue: not a good song at all for me 09.My Oath to Madness: a decent song but the solo has too much technical. 10.Failure's Conquest: a good ending song it alternates with the technical and melody. // 6

Comments