The Game of Life review by Arsonists Get All the Girls

• Released: Aug 14, 2007
Arsonists Get All the Girls: The Game of Life

They started out as a joke, but got more serious and have their own sound. It's almost indescribable, but I'll do my best to explain it. Think of the Metalcore genre (don't get turned off by the term) style singing, with death metal, grindcore, jazz, Ska, an amazing keyboardist and guitarists that play the most interesting riffs and progressions I've heard in a good while. This album, this band is experimental metal. This thing clocks in about 40 minutes, not too long or too short. I almost overlooked this band, the fact some songs sound like things out of such things such as a circus to a video game, to a strings ensemble, to techno, to just metal. Listening several times brings a new voyage through your imagination everytime.

The lyrics range from so deep it would confuse Shakespeare himself, to death metal gore related obsession, to so freakin' random it's not even funny. The deepest lyrics come into play form "Save The Castle, Screw The Princess" "Told to take roads not even treaded on before We are dust thrown upon the dirt Ash made our eyes We say we are and obey another Does your right hand even know what your left hand is doing right now?" The intro to "So You Think You Know About The Game Of Life" will leave you laughing and repeating it several times. The piano at the end of the song is also clever. The vocals seem to match all the songs amazingly. I'd love to hear one song completely sung clean though. The screaming is soooo diverse from other bands that scream, ranging from satanic lows, to the most unique highs I've heard in a good while. The keyboardist and Lead singer scream, different styles and duets.

To other similar artists, not that similar even, because these guys sound so original, would be Between The Buried and Me kicked up a notch. The best songs are all of them! But ones to be brought to attention are "Shoeshine For Neptune", "Cuffed To Your Ankles", "Save The Castle, Screw The Princess" and "So You Think You Know About The Game Of Life" I love the sound. Sounds like each song was planned well. All diverse from one another and everything else on the market. They need one real hook filled song though, I mean melodic, to grab attention of those who don't like some of the extreme heavy songs. Regardless, worth checking this on out. If this were stolen or lost, I'd buy another one just to support the band. Worth it for only $8!

xtheblackoutx
    jamsea
    Saw them live a week ago, wasn't impressed at all. Really sloppy live, really let me down. (n)
    jamsea
    huevos
    xtheblackoutx wrote: They're cool dudes, but I wouldn't classify this as ridiculously original. It's just kind of excessive and goofy IMO.
    They have the potential to be a really exceptional band. I recommend Dance Club Massacre, with a new album out today! Fuck, I forgot about it. But yeah, those guys are really closer to the experimental metal term then AGATG.
    jamsea wrote: Oh ya, if you like these guys, check out I Wrestled a Bear once, same style but 100000x better.
    IWABO uses the same formula for each song. If they focused more, they would be beyond awesome. Krista is hot, and she's an excellent vocalist, so thats gotta count for something.
    Spwee1494
    thats why i prefer this band over IWABO because they dont have the same song structure on every song