Allegiance review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Jun 6, 2006
As Blood Runs Black: Allegiance

As Blood Runs Black does an excellent job of catching you attention with their fast riffs and fantastic harmonies in their album Allegiance, but I feel they were over used. While listening I found myself thinking "I heard that song already" because of the similarities of guitar riffs. Many riffs were based on short hammer-ons and pull-offs with a harmony attached to it. The music is catchy and hardcore, but the riffs and power chords sound the same in many songs.

The lyrics all had a theme which was break free and show respect. Many songs stood for making a new path and striving to get on top to make a difference. In others, it was about not judging someone by their looks and apologizing after making a mistake. The singers all have great screaming talent. There is a mix of singing styles including pig squeals, grunts, and just plain screams. This makes the listening experience more enjoyable because you never know what sound is going to come out of their mouths. The lyrics may not match the music, but As Blood Runs Black makes it blend perfectly.

Overall this CD is fantastic. The drums and guitars are a perfect match in the style that they play. I think this band has awesome chemistry and could probably write a few more albums. I recommend buying this on iTunes or wherever you can and see what you think if this is your style of music. I like everything about this CD except for the fact that a lot of their songs sound the same. If all their songs were bad, this would be a horrible thing. But since the vocals and drums are different they kind of cancel the guitar similarities out. If you don't feel like buying the entire album, I recommend buying Legends Never Die and My Fears Have Become Phobias because it really shows off their style. Believe me; you won't be disappointed with this CD.

Capt. Stew
    Very Decent Album, but i agree the riffs are very similar from song to song, In dying days is the best song! \m/
    SoASinger
    Yea this cd isnt dissapointing at all, but the songs do sound alot like the last one. I personally only like the first 5 tracks and then after that it gets boring. But would you have ever thought that these guys started out with Atreyu covers while they were in backyards and playing at parks, lol.