Allegiance review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Jun 6, 2006
As Blood Runs Black: Allegiance

Each part of this band, in my opinion, is a superb musician. The guitar parts are written leaving the listener nothing short of amazed. Combining sheer speed with dynamic harmonies, the treble side of the band is exceptional. And what other band can you find where the bassist keeps up with the guitars speed, using only fingerbass techniques? Very few. The outstanding drummer keeps the rythem going strong, and has his time to shine in the magnifecent breakdowns in songs suck as In Dying Days, Hester Prynne, and Beneath the Surface to name a few. The vocalist ability to instantly switch between loud screaming and deep, throat singing adds to the band a creative effect of having two vocalists. The only thing I could find lacking in this band was in their lyrics. They seem to be very generically, "Think for yourself; what's this world coming to?" type lyrics. Aside from the poetics, As Blood Runs Black's sound is exceptional as they make the most of their low, drop C tunings and high pitched, squealing pinch harmonics. Allegiance clearly throws ABRB to one of the top ranks or their genre.

The lyrics are well put together, but honestly not so great. They work for the genre, which doesn't really highlight the word of the songs. The singer's skills are definately outstanding. The ability to drastically switch between treble clef screams and bass clef yells leaves the listener stunned. So even without the most poetic lyrics, As Blood Runs Black's vocal section is very impressive.

Of all the bands that are similar to the style of ABRB, I would have to confess, they are my favorite. My favorite songs from the album are probably In Dying Days, Legends Never Die, Hester Prynne, and My Fears Have Become Phobias. I absolutely love this entire album. Even when showing their less hardcore sound in Pouring Reign, their musical composition is nothing short of amazing. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would probably just download each song on FrostWire; like I did in the first place. But if you're the kind of person to actually buy cd's, this is definately worth your money.

iH8CarAccidents
    Dude, the first time I heard that insane double bass at the end of "My Fears Have Become Phobias" I nearly crapped myself. And it still gives me chills. Awesome band all around too.
    Revenger#11
    I heard somewhere that he used three drum heads(or some kind of triple bass) in the "My Fears Have Become Phobias" breakdown. Either way, that was the highlight for me of a decent album, but i guess it is very simliar to much deathcore but it is quite technical
    Demon Seraph
    BdFlyDawg wrote: all of you are so wrong... hester prynee is easily the best song on there. it shows of great guitar playing, insane drumming, sick breakdowns, subdrops, great vocals amd vocal range. if you could describe all of as blood runs black in one song it would be hester prynee.
    I also love Hester Prynne, it is freiken insane. Also if you play g-tar like me and looked at the tabs then youd b like *o*
    all_the_rage
    theyre currently looking for a new vocalist to do the second album, and the 2 tracks they put up on myspace a while back where pathetic. the vocalist chris left sal the fat bald guitarist left and leche the drummer left but has now rejoined after chris and sal left, but he wouldnt say why, but he states in their video blogs on the myspace that "if chris and sal were still in the band, i wouldnt be back" album two is going to be phenominal!
    Ibanezbelyeu
    Demon Seraph wrote: OOOHHH yes... I like that! Lol i never get tired of that line
    Thats my sing-a-long part of the album
    dementiacaptain
    ThatWouldBeJon
    dementiacaptain wrote: one of the few truly talented acts in the deathcore genre. something as an alternative if u arnt in the mood for a chelsea grin song. just to be clear i think deathcore is great, but there isnt always alot of musical proficiency there, tho a few bands stand to prove me wrong
    death_unknown
    Ive seen these guys twice. The drummer screws up on the double bass a lot. The riffs are the same 3,7, and 8 fret hammer and pull offs just rearranged with little fillers thrown in. Beneath the Surface is the most tolerable song on the album. Nothing new with this cd. They lost the singer and a guitar player so maybe they will progress on their next effort. If not, then its just one more band relying on breakdowns and triggers and the same riffs, all to please the lame ass scene kids that ruin shows these days.