Allegiance Review

As Blood Runs Black: Allegiance
Release Date: Jun 6, 2006
Label: Mediaskare
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Alternative Metal
Ultimately, the band's instrumental prowess is a highlight in itself, and most listeners will find that whatever As Blood Runs Black still lack in terms of ingenious songwriting, they mostly make up for with pure adrenalin.
 Lyrics: 8.7
Allegiance Reviewed by: Phillip., on april 30, 2008

Sound: Each part of this band, in my opinion, is a superb musician. The guitar parts are written leaving the listener nothing short of amazed. Combining sheer speed with dynamic harmonies, the treble side of the band is exceptional. And what other band can you find where the bassist keeps up with the guitars speed, using only fingerbass techniques? Very few. The outstanding drummer keeps the rythem going strong, and has his time to shine in the magnifecent breakdowns in songs suck as In Dying Days, Hester Prynne, and Beneath the Surface to name a few. The vocalist ability to instantly switch between loud screaming and deep, throat singing adds to the band a creative effect of having two vocalists. The only thing I could find lacking in this band was in their lyrics. They seem to be very generically, "Think for yourself; what's this world coming to?" type lyrics. Aside from the poetics, As Blood Runs Black's sound is exceptional as they make the most of their low, drop C tunings and high pitched, squealing pinch harmonics. Allegiance clearly throws ABRB to one of the top ranks or their genre. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well put together, but honestly not so great. They work for the genre, which doesn't really highlight the word of the songs. The singer's skills are definately outstanding. The ability to drastically switch between treble clef screams and bass clef yells leaves the listener stunned. So even without the most poetic lyrics, As Blood Runs Black's vocal section is very impressive. // 9

Overall Impression: Of all the bands that are similar to the style of ABRB, I would have to confess, they are my favorite. My favorite songs from the album are probably In Dying Days, Legends Never Die, Hester Prynne, and My Fears Have Become Phobias. I absolutely love this entire album. Even when showing their less hardcore sound in Pouring Reign, their musical composition is nothing short of amazing. If this CD were stolen or lost, I would probably just download each song on FrostWire; like I did in the first place. But if you're the kind of person to actually buy cd's, this is definately worth your money. // 10

Allegiance Reviewed by: Telestar, on august 24, 2007

Sound: As Blood Runs Black does an excellent job of catching you attention with their fast riffs and fantastic harmonies in their album Allegiance, but I feel they were over used. While listening I found myself thinking "I heard that song already" because of the similarities of guitar riffs. Many riffs were based on short hammer-ons and pull-offs with a harmony attached to it. The music is catchy and hardcore, but the riffs and power chords sound the same in many songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics all had a theme which was break free and show respect. Many songs stood for making a new path and striving to get on top to make a difference. In others, it was about not judging someone by their looks and apologizing after making a mistake. The singers all have great screaming talent. There is a mix of singing styles including pig squeals, grunts, and just plain screams. This makes the listening experience more enjoyable because you never know what sound is going to come out of their mouths. The lyrics may not match the music, but As Blood Runs Black makes it blend perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this CD is fantastic. The drums and guitars are a perfect match in the style that they play. I think this band has awesome chemistry and could probably write a few more albums. I recommend buying this on iTunes or wherever you can and see what you think if this is your style of music. I like everything about this CD except for the fact that a lot of their songs sound the same. If all their songs were bad, this would be a horrible thing. But since the vocals and drums are different they kind of cancel the guitar similarities out. If you don't feel like buying the entire album, I recommend buying Legends Never Die and My Fears Have Become Phobias because it really shows off their style. Believe me; you won't be disappointed with this CD. // 8

Allegiance Reviewed by: SinisterScythe, on december 06, 2007

Sound: They are pretty much a deathcore/hardcore band sounding. They how different styles and soundings in each song or playing they use. They use different styles and sounds from guitars, drums, bass and vocals. They are very good about there music and like what they do and enjoy what they write, They sound really good and best of it they sound different in each song, not like some other bands where they all sound the same these guys sound different in each song from different soloing, riffs and vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the main thing in this band besides the guitars and drums/bass. The compliance with the music is fitting from different styles they do. The singer has great talents from clean/grisping to heavy screaming none stop, different sounding and talent in each of the songs. The lyrics do fit the sound and style, Again unlike some other bands the lyrics don't fit the song, these guys are different they have the best screaming and singing talent I heard from these guys hope to see more. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing this band to Bring Me The Horizon, they are deathcore also and sound alike but with different styles and soloing and of course lyrics/vocals. I am most impressed on how well they recorded and sound they have done, from a demo to a good quality CD. I love how this band has a great sound of tone and vocals. I dislike sometimes how they just keep on going with there sound when they are not sounding right on the song they are doing and another thing different sounds would be nice in some new songs, but mostly they sound great. If this was stolen or lost I would buy it and another for a friend. // 8

Allegiance Reviewed by: BdFlyDawg, on march 03, 2008

Sound: Ok here we go, I believe that ABRB is a great band. They are so talented in every way. The drummer is probably one of the best I have ever heard. Ever (for those of you who do not believe it the double bass part in "my fears become phobias" is real, and is played at 260 bpm. I have seen them live and watched him do it). Just the way they play thir wusic will blow any metal fan away. Insane double-bass, and blastbeats that will make you go crazy. Guitar parts that are generic yet catchy, and sick breakdowns that will make you want to fight somebody. // 9

Lyrics: Well I really like the way the lead singer uses his voice to the music. Because honestly, if this band was to try to play the music they play now with another vocalist who sounds different it would not sound good. The lead singer has a great scream, even though at times is might sound a little dry and sound like he's trying to hard, it really matches the music well. // 9

Overall Impression: I really would not know who to compare ABRB to. Even though they might have some songwriting problems, and might be a very generic band, I believe that they are also very different, in the way that I have heard no other band that sounds like them. To me, "Hester Prynee" is a song that basically takes everything this band is and puts it all together. Technical riffs, sick breakdowns, great vocals, and amazing drumming. I would definitly reccomend this album to anybody who loves metal. // 10

Allegiance Reviewed by: drugsrbadmkay16, on april 20, 2010

Sound: "Allegiance" really has a great overall sound. That is where it's at its best. Though it is part of the deathcore music genre, it manages to release rhythms that are very powerful and differ from one another. In other words - no two songs sound alike, and that's a problem that many bands seem to have. But what is really incredible with this album is its intensity/complexity that is both extreme, but also of very high quality. The guitar riffs are unforgettable, that's for sure, and the drums very well may put an evil grin on your face. Not just that, but the two compliment each other so well. The best example of this can be seen all throughout the album in the heart of some of the most epic, brutal breakdowns EVER. I truly mean that. Nearly every song either has one, or has something that resembles a breakdown (and sounds great, nonetheless). The only thing As Blood Runs Black failed to do was incorporate a slow song in it as a filler. A lot of bands do this, and it usually works well. However, their attempt at this in the song "Pouring Reign" is pretty bad, in my personal opinion. It was too much of a filler and just didn't go well with the album at all. But besides that, each and every song on this album is a masterpiece. // 9

Lyrics: Eh, the lyrics of "Allegiance" aren't exactly epic, especially in comparison to numerous other deathcore albums. By no means are they BAD, but they fail heavily in comparison to some others. The mood is consistently powerful and accurate, though sometimes the words are just... Poorly produced. Phrases are constantly repeated, and it kind of just seems at times that the lyrics was the band's attempt at a filler to kind of just get away with having such awesome guitar and drums. The vocals are good, though, and that's always a plus, especially in the given genre. // 7

Overall Impression: It is certainly a great album, and one that I would certainly recommend. It is superior to many other albums of the genre in the majority of ways, though doesn't do well in comparison to overall lyrics. Nonetheless, if you're looking for a solid head-banging fix, "Allegiance" is certainly worth your time and money. Favorite Song: Strife (Chug Chug) Least Favorite Song: Pouring Reign // 9

Allegiance Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2010

Sound: ABRB, as you know, is a Deathcore band hailing from L.A., that just never seems to be able to keep the same line-up. Well, enough about that, this is about their 2006 album, Allegiance. ABRB, in this album, portray their skill with their instruments very obviously. The band used Drop C tuning for this album, and they tended to keep within the C Minor, C Harmonic Minor and C Melodic Minor scales, which raises the most stressed and talked about negative for this album: the songs sound similar. This band is like aggressive Deathcore heavily influenced by Metalcore on Speed. The album shows no real musicianship or artistry. They have similar riffs in songs, and they are extremely repetative. However, their melodic technicality combined with their speed quickly makes up for their song construction skills. Take Hester Prynne for example. That song makes everyone jizz, am I not correct? Their breakdowns make people reconsider the Core genre's. They are just sheer brutality. They have some of the most brutal breakdowns I've ever heard, even the first breakdown in Strife (Chug Chug), although that was their weakest breakdown, it's still good. Their guitarists, ever changing as they are, have always been extremely skilled technically with their instrument. Ernie, who acted as the first guitarist and the solo guitarist for this album, was very technical in his playing. I hope the best for him since he is no longer apart of the band anymore. Their guitar-prowess is genious, but their real power comes from their rhythm section: Nick (Bass) and Lech (Drums). Nick Stewart keeps up with their extreme guitar tracks with his FINGERS. Nick is definately one of the better bassists of our time, and is personally one of my bass idols. Lech... wow... his drumming is just... wow... He is probably one of the best drummers that metal has ever grasped, and it's a priveledge to hear him play. I think it's safe to say that Nick and Lech are, and always will be, the powerhouse behind ABRB. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, I personally love ABRB. Although they aren't the most poetic peices, their songs all have meaning in them, striking at political leadership, or talking about how "you" are on a path to self-destruction. I personally LOVE ABRB's lyrics. Their vocalist for this album, however, is okay. He's a distorted scream and yeller, like me, and his octave jumps are pretty decent in this album. However, he only distincts between three notes, and I believe that note veriety is key to a successful vocalist. // 8

Overall Impression: ABRB is arguably the best Deathcore band that America, maybe even the world, has to offer. This is the only Deathcore band that I ALWAYS enjoy listening to, and it's the only Deathcore band that I have heard that is technically proficient. As for songs that are impressive, the stand-outs in this album were definately (in order) Hester Prynne, In Dying Days, My Fears Have Become Phobias, and Strife (Chug Chug). I love that this album is technically, melodicly and brutally proficient, and that is something that I love to hear in my music. I hate that the songs all sound similar, even Hester Prynne, in some parts, sounds like other songs. Pedal-notes are obviously a key factor in their playing, and I hope that in the up-and-coming album Instinct shows some veriety in tuning, scale and riffage. I hope that they don't stay in Drop B and the B Minor Scales, I would be saddened if they hadn't improved on this in four years. If I lost, or someone stole it, I WOULD buy this album again. This band is definately worth listening to. // 7

Allegiance Reviewed by: wbjackson517, on may 07, 2012

Sound: This album dropped in '06 and I just picked it up not long ago. This is an earlier version of deathcore, and I love this album. They had it together before some big heavyweights of the genre. The problem is, and it has affected many good bands, the line up changes. That can wipe a band out. Anyways the album is very good and the musicianship is stellar. These guys would be bigger if they had their stuff together and didn't wait five years to put out their sophomore effort. // 8

Lyrics: The "Intro" is an instrumental and then goes into "My Fears Have Become Phobia", which is exactly what a deathcore song should sound like. The lyrics and sing titles go well together and this version of ABRB sou, very cohesive. The name of the band, the song titles and the music are spot on everything I like about deathcore. "Brighter Side Of Suffering", "Chug, Chug" and an instrumental called "Pouring Reign" are all standouts. // 9

Overall Impression: They sound better than a lot of their cohorts and like I said earlier, if they had not had the line up problems and put out an album quicker they might be bigger or more well known. I wish this album had more songs and less instrumentals. I listen to this quite a bit and I can tell you its a short album, maybe 35 minutes, which I like. As Blood Runs Black is a good band and this a solid disc. Check it out. // 9

Comments