Ground Zero review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Oct 27, 2014
  • Users' score: 7 (1 vote)
As Blood Runs Black: Ground Zero

You can tell that they guys let Dan and Greg mess with more of the melodies and leads on this album. Previous albums I felt like they lacked those extra guitar line. Usually about the 3rd way through a song I would get bored and skip to the next track but this is not the case for this album. Dan's melodies along with his leads are very interesting. At some points he will go into a fast guitar run, then take a left turn on you and bust out groovy lead. The only downside to the album is that it doesn't have that real well produced sound like on "Instinct." "Instinct" has that real ummphh low end and well mixed sound where this album seems to be missing. Maybe it's Hector's drum kit that seems to be mixed different this time around, whatever it is it will throw you off at first.

It defiantly has the ABRB sound with a little more. With the new singer Christopher Bartholomew bringing the classic ABRB power screams and low end. He also adds some cleans throughout the album; one example is on the track "An Oath." Just the clarity of his vocals seems to be on point with this track. Most of the time when a heavy style band like this adds cleans; it can go decent or really bad. I think Christ's voice matches real well with the bands style and he nailed the vocals on this album.

My overall impression is that this album is very good and probably the band's best musical album. Every song has something different to offer. ABRB keep to their original sound for the most part which you can hear in every song but they also have that groove style for melodies they added. The songs that stand out to me and I listen to the most are "All or Nothing," "Chapters" and "Survival Rights." I believe these are the 3 songs on this album that do the most justice. If you give those three songs a chance and you like them, buy this album!