Instinct review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Mar 15, 2011
As Blood Runs Black: Instinct

Having been through several lineup changes in the past four and a half years, obviously Instinct sounds unlike it's predecessor Allegiance. "Triumph", the intro track, starts off very much in your face, and sets the tone for the record. The album is very much a metalcore album, and does not offer much variety. "Legacy" picks up where "Triumph" leaves off, and while it is an enjoyable track, does not offer much new to the CD, other than a fairly decent guitar solo. "Resist", my personal favorite, has a catchy main riff which keeps the listener hooked throughout the song. "Angel City Gamble" doesn't stand out too much, but the drum work on it is quite nice. "Tribulations" is an interlude track featuring some string and piano work, and is the only break in the album. The transition from "Tribulations" to "Divided" isn't well done, but "Divided" is a decent song. I quite like the riffs in "King of Thieves"; the riffs are the high point of the second half of the CD to me. The solo is quite nice, too. "In Honor" doesn't stand out at all, really. "Instinct" serves as a nice ending track to the album, and tops it off well, with some guitar solos and more decent riffs, not to mention the cool bass section.

The lyrics are quite unique in that they address growing up and developing, as opposed to the normal topics metal bands tend to use. The singer has a decent voice; As Blood Runs Black chose the right guy to replace their old singer. His voice fits nicely with the music and is an essential part of the album.

Albeit being a decent album, Instinct does not hold a candle to Allegiance. The climax of the album comes within the first couple of songs, and pretty much continues on downhill from there. The songs start to run together towards the end of the album, however, it is well worth a listen or two if you are an As Blood Runs Black fan.

EpiExplorer
    Sounds like you dont like the album that much, yet gave it a high score. Not so much a review, more of a blog.
    Disturbed_EMG
    As much as I used to love these guys, (and it may have something to do with the fact that I'm really into progressive stuff at the moment) this album was just so boring. I downloaded it as a "try-before-I-buy" thing and I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. Way too repetitive and well... boring.
    rictazero
    I loved Allegiance, but I found attention veering elsewhere after a couple songs of Instinct. It's all very bland and boring, and the production quality seems pretty low for a sophomore album. It seems that your review would agree with that even though you gave it an 8 -_-
    ThatWouldBeJon
    Though i appreciate that they kept the same Allegiance formula, the fact that they only have 2 remaining Allegiance era members means that they physically can't make another authentic sounding ABRB album. I loved that nick does alot of bass sweeps on Instinct and hated that lech has less standout drum parts like he did on Allegiance. Overall this album is OKAY but does not live up to Allegiance.
    Phe4rTheGod
    After so many changes and only 1 album, they should have went with a name change...
    MXFNCK
    the review does not at all correspond with the scores you're giving out.
    myownenemy
    EpiExplorer wrote: Also, this is the posterband for how not to sound unique.
    This. This is the most generic deathcore band, and deathcore is a generic genre. I bought their first album, gave it two listens, and never touched it again. Waste of 10 bucks.