Instinct review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Mar 15, 2011
As Blood Runs Black: Instinct

In contrast to "Alliegance", their previous album, ABRB has brought us music that leans towards the Death Metal side of Deathcore instead of the more Metalcore side of Deathcore. In this album they've also incorperated the use of more keys besides C, and thus it gives the album a more diversified feel to it. Each song in the album leads into the next one perfectly, and their riffs aren't as repetative as they were in the previous album (so now you can actually tell a difference in each song). The solo's are very soulful and fit the backing tracks rather well. Dan's solos are different from Ernie's, yes, but Dan's seem to just meld with the songs all the time, while Ernie's solo in "My Fears Have Become Phobias" didn't really fit the song well. If he had made the solo longer, then maybe, but it just didn't flow with the song, in my opinion. I am very impressed with this album and highly reccomend it.

The lyrics are more about self-realization and staying true to yourself. So, in a way, it's a self-motivational album that can give one with self-esteem issues help in that aspect of their life. The lyrics could have been better in spots, but, over-all, I believe the lyrics were written well. The level is about the same as Alliegance. Sonik is okay as a vocalist, and he sounds pretty similar on the album as he does live, but he's not much of a frontman. However, I must say, that his vocals somewhat fits the sound the band has created for this album. But, let's just say I want them to get another vocalist again.

"Instinct" is much better than their previous album, in my opinion. This really shows off their technical skill and their are less similarities from song to song than there is in "Alliegance". I love the melodical and technical blend of this album and it's brutal breakdowns, as usual. However, in some of the songs, like "Echoes of an Era" the riffs get a little repetative, so, they could have done something different in that aspect, I think. My favorite songs in the album are "Triumph", "Legacy", "Resist", "Echoes of an Era", and "Instinct". I would deffinately get this album again, it is worth your money!