Instinct review by As Blood Runs Black

• Released: Mar 15, 2011
As Blood Runs Black: Instinct

The thing I noticed immediately about this album was the change in production because the drums were less punchy and loud... As Blood Runs Black are a fairly straight forward deathcore band which is something most don't like but the thing they had that made them good in my mind was that at the individual components were good. The guitarists were reasonably technical and the screams were quite good, overall I liked the sound they had and I disagreed that they sounded super generic and unoriginal... But of course Lech is probably most peoples main attraction to the band... And they went and leveled everything out giving it a flatter sound with the drums sounding convincingly less impressive and everything sounding generic. It definitely wasn't horrible especially if you are a fan of the band..it was just... Okay? Nothing stood out and it isn't going to win anyone over that didn't like them already... A disappointing effort after waiting months for it (they released the best song on the album ages before it was released... Awful misleading to be honest) and I thought Allegiance was definitely better.

The lyrics were different to the common trends of most deathcore bands, trying to be meaningful instead of violent of tough. It fits the music reasonably well. The new vocalist is doing his job with nothing to really complain about. He doesn't really hold many screams or have intros or breakdowns or bridges to scream so he just blends in with the music and isn't a stand out or a problem.

I still enjoyed the first half of the album but it did blur into background music towards the end. Solos have improved and the bass on the album is really quite good but very few riffs stand out and the drums have been blended more into the rest of the music which, with lech's talent, is a terrible feature or Instinct. I waited for too long and my expectations for the album may be a contributing factor to how average it turned out to be but it was still a good album for fans of the band and the genre. If you are neither of those, then I recommend you listen to Allegiance first.

Loki_37
    As much as the music is boring and uninventive...From the first track, I harkened back to what used to be metalcore's main - and probably only - strength. They just sound pissed off and ready to fight! The production gives such a big underground vibe, which as far as I am concerned, plays to metalcore's musical - if they even have any? - strengths. Maybe I'm just grasping for straws here, but, I actually enjoyed this enough to not delete it immediately after downloading. (Happens to about 95% of everything I download) If there wasn't a breakdown every thirty seconds, these guys could probably make a decent metal album. Because ultimately, however tolerable they are...That shit gets annoying.
    Mistermetee
    i absolutely loved allegiance, it was the perfect blend of deathcore and metalcore but this album was so boring and unoriginal. major dissapointment