Come Now Sleep Review

As Cities Burn: Come Now Sleep
Release Date: Aug 14, 2007
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Metal, Alternative CCM
Of course the whole album is a must have, just don't expect screaming like in the last album.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
Come Now Sleep Reviewed by: >>Eric<<, on december 22, 2007

Sound: As Cities Burn (ACB) has actually come a long way from where they first started. ACB was never just an ordinary band though. They have always maintain their own unique form of music and it has never failed to blow me away. "Come Now Sleep", the follow up to "Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest", is denifately a big step for ACB. Now you might remember ACB as a hardcore screamo band, but they have decided to slightly change that for many reasons. My friend Tim said that he had talked to Cody (lead vocals/ lead guitar of ACB), before a show at RCKTWN about why they had taken out so much of their scream. Cody replied,"There are only so many ways to scream in music, but there are unlimited ways you can sing." So, ACB was an incredible screamin band, but they have simply lost some of that harsh tone. Cody still has a powerful singing voice that will definaltely move you upon the first listen of this CD. Cody usually will sing in a unique high-pitch, yet low moanish voice that really something else.I would say that the style of this CD is somewhere in the alternative and rock category. I know some things about the story behind this CD. I spoke to Cody before an ACB show (the same one as before) and he said that the whole purpose of the CD is for the band's close friend, Tiomthy. I am not positive on this, but I believe he committed suicide, and this greatly moved the band emotionally. So, they have deicated the album to Timothy, and hope and pray he is in a safe place. // 9

Lyrics: As Cities Burn have got some of the most powerful, moving lyrics that you will ever hear in your lifetime. The SILYAYD CD already had incredible collection of inspiring lyrics that I did not believe could be topped, but ACB did it. Just listen to songs like "Empire", "This Is It, This Is It", and "New Sun". They all have their own seperate message, but in a way the can also connect to each other in ways as well. Cody's voice, like I said before, will absolutely sway you with amazement. I guarantee you will love it. // 10

Overall Impression: Simply put, there is absolutely no other artist like As Cities Burn as far as I have heard. They are absolutely one of the best bands of the year and deserve to get some props. The best songs from this album I would have to say are "Empire", "This Is It, This Is It", and "Timothy", I chose these 3 because they are incredible songs, but personally, I think the whole album is amazing. As for pro's, ACB have brought us some new and fresh that is very skiled and talented. Cons, I guess if you aren't into singing voices and only like the hardcore stuff, you won't fid this album as exciting as the one before it. If lost or stolen, yes I would pick up another copy as soon as possible. Listen to ACB new CD. It's really worth your time! // 9

Come Now Sleep Reviewed by: meg127, on july 05, 2008

Sound: Come Now Sleep is the band's secong album. Their first, Son I Loved You At Your Darkest, had lots of screaming. This time around lead singer Cody shows that he has a unique, but excellent singing voice. Come Now Sleep is a lot different from there first record, but in my opinion it's a lot better. The music is great and will make anyone want to play along with it. The band is extremely talented and has created amazing hardcore music. As Cities Burn is great for fans of Circa Survive and The Receiving End of Sirens. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the time when listening to music I don't really care about the lyrics and I just listen to the guitars. That's not the case in Come Now Sleep. Though the music is great the lyrics and vocals are awesome to. Cody's voice is like no one elses. His voice is kind of high pitched, but he can go from singing relativing soft to all out with ease. The lyrics match the music perfectly. Each and every song is powerful. // 10

Overall Impression: Come Now Sleep is one of the most solid records out right now. The best songs on the record are Empire and This Is It, This Is It. Both excell in music, lyrics, and vocals. Everytime I listen to either I find myself singing along. The last song on the CD is Timothy. It's a long, mostly instrumentel song. The song is billerent and a perfect ending to a perfect record. Come Now Sleep is flawless and one of my favorites. This CD should be apart of everyone's collection. If I lost it, or it was stolen I would sprint to the nearest store that sells CDs and buy it again. If you don't already have it, buy it. // 10

Comments