A Long March: The First Recordings review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: May 16, 2006
As I Lay Dying: A Long March: The First Recordings

This album is of course a remake of As I Lay Dyings first two albums (Beneath The Encasing Of Ashes, American Tragedy). These albums were meant as EPs so naturally the sound is a little raw, but it gives it a harder sound. If you listen to the guitars in the re-recorded soungs such as "Forever" you can hear a definite change in sound. The guitars are much "crunchier" sounding than the cleaner sounding last two albums. I also enjoyed hearing bass lines in "Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier", seeing as how the album "Frail Words Collapse" was recorded without a bassist. Tim's vocals are also much deeper, and hoarse sounding. It reminds me of Extol's screamer.

This album was written very quickly so most of the songs are very short and don't have very many lyrics. But the songs show a definite meaning behind them showing Tim and Jordan's struggle in the music industry, such as in songs like "A Long March". Tim defines most of the songs in the lyric sheet, which is written more like a biography.

AILD has always and will always be my favorite band and when I heard they were coming out with a remake album I was very pleased and it has not dissapointed me one bit. While I did enjoy "Shadows Are Security" more than this album I would say that would only be because of the raw sound of the album. If this CD were stolen from me it would definitely be worth purchasing again and again.

MedicreDemon
    these are weird comments my friend is obsessed with AILD and he calls them hardcore. different ppl call their music different things. as for the person who said u cant classify AILD because they dont fit in any, everyone says that about their favorite band. my favorite band happens to be SOAD and i consider them Nu Metal. while the band itself doesnt label itself. ive never seen any other nu metal bands so they are kinda right but just shut up about what genre they are who cares what any 1 else thinks anyway
    adyingwish
    LakeboDom wrote: 94 hours wrote: nine01n wrote: grind core? heavy metal? your ****in kidding me right ya bro i put it in as hardcore, one of the mods must have changed it while it was being reviewed. i agree with you, there is really no screaming in heavy metal if you think about it, thats what makes hardcore what it is. as far as grindcore goes i dont even know what the heck thats supposed to be The genre "hardcore" has already been taken for a while heard of a band called Suicidal Tendencies that is real hardcore. I like AILD but i hate it when people call music like this hardcore but w/e they kick ass. And Grindcore is Punk mixed with Black Metal
    wtf are you talking about... thats like saying bathory and venom are grindcore grindcore is "chaotic" death metal without much music theory in it
    les_zack611
    yea, i got this cd like a week ago nd i was listened to it about 6 times all the way through nd im not sick of it
    Tortiss
    I don't see why so many people are so "Anti-Genre" nowadays. If people didn't have genres then it would be even more f**ked up then it is now.I agree every band should add there own flavour to th the music but no matter what It will always be classified under some genre. Whats wrong with being classified?
    94 hours
    PaintOurSilence wrote: Does anyone know where I can download this CD. I cant find it in stores anywhere.
    i dont know about downloads but hastings anfd wal-mart both sell it.
    becker009
    aild are one of my fave metalcore bands. winter solstice rip! haha but yeah
    Kitten Killer
    DanJacobsII wrote: i agree with xtract. reinvention is the best song. how can you beat this lyric "i tried so hard to wake from this dream, instead i found out i was never asleep" and as some have said, AILD is and will "Forever" be my favorite band.
    I agree as well.
    simonzwaan
    genres are all messed today u can name it punk, rock, metal , death metal, screamo, emocore, screamocore, and theires way more
    LakeboDom
    Nathanial_ng wrote: nope their quite unlike trivium but their still as good as trivium =)
    Wayyyy better than trivium
    LakeboDom
    stonedkirby
    AILD isnt the best band ever , nor is it really hardcore , and it for sure aint grindcore. its def. metalcore , but besides labels , theyre good to hear evrynow and then , and beggining metalcore guitarist should learn their songs , theyre perfect for practice IMO.
    DanJacobsII
    xtract
    didn't even mention Reinvention, probably the best part of the cd, and the song with the most change to show. Forever just sounds like they remastered it if that.
    94 hours
    nine01n wrote: grind core? heavy metal? your ****in kidding me right
    Baronobeefdip
    Best song on the cd was the re-recorded Reinvention. When you listen to the original, then the re-recorded... It's ear-gasmic! Especially with the "solo" as i call it.
    Baronobeefdip
    trox
    i agree with nine01n, there's no word to really describe these guys music, but they kick ass
    FakePlasticMan
    i dont think anyones gotten grindcore right yet. as much as i hate to be a genre-*****, i think it needs clearing up. grindcore started with napalm death's "scum" albumn. basically, grindcore is musicaly sludge. extremely fast (and perhaps extremely slow) tempos with highly distorted guitars. high use of dissonant chords and "vomited" vocals. anyways, i think i might get this. looks interesting.