An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

As I Lay Dying stay close to their sound featured on their past albums. Yet it may take old listeners some time to get used to this album. The vocals by Tim Lambesis are relatively the same and their new bass player Josh Gilbert provides clean vocals on most tracks. The vocals sound great and are catchy but gets unoriginal as you listen through the album. The guitar work is what this stands out from the rest of their albums. The guitars are incorporating almost Iron Maiden like harmonies throughout the album. Lead guitarist Phil Sgrosso also features some great solos on this album. The opening riff to "Within Destruction" is almost Slayer-like, showing that the guitarists bring some of their more thrash metal influences into this album. Overall the sound is nearly spotless.

Lyrics stay true to As I Lay Dying's Christianity. Lyrics consist of the troubles of the world, love, and redemption. Nothing satanic. The lyrics fit well into the songs, the more heartfelt lyrics are usually sung, and the lyrics that are more angry, or trying to get a point through are screamed. Both Lambesis and Gilbert sound great throughout the album. I was impressed by the lyrics and the capabilities of Lambesis and Gilbert's voices.

I was overall impressed by this album. Easily in my opinion their best songwriting to date. I bought this album and was never tempted to skip to the next track, each song had something to show for it. This song features 2 instrumentals and a ballad, this is new for As I Lay Dying fans and I don't think they will dislike them one bit. I love the guitars in this album, some technical riffs, and some simple yet catchy licks. The only bad thing I can say about this album is the vocals get a tiny bit repetetive. If this was stolen, hell yeah I would buy it again. Go buy this album, if you are an old As I Lay Dying fan, or even if you aren't that big of a metalcore fan (and I'm not) you will love this album.