An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

The new As I Lay Dying album has a different sound then their previous albums, which is not bad thing at all. While there previous albums have a more hardcore feel to it, they incorporate a "thrashier" sound to An Ocean Between Us (most notable on the track 'Within Destruction') while still retaining the hardcore feel of their other albums. I definatly see the new sound of this album as an improvement. The moment I put this CD in, I was glad that I bought it. Everything on this album stuck out and proved itself quite memorable.

As everyone knows, Tim Lambesis is an excellent screamer. The vocal lines on this album seem a bit easier to follow than in their other albums as well. The few clean vocals on this album are also quite well done. Some of the clean vocal melodies are the most memorable parts on this album. I didn't really pay much attention to the actual lyrics of the songs, though from what I did get, they sounded well written and meaningful.

If this CD were lost or stolen, I would absolutely buy it again (well if I hadn't already ripped it into my iTunes). A few of most memorable tracks on this album are 'Nothing Left', 'Within Destruction', 'Forsaken', and 'Wrath Upon Ourselves'. Note the thrashy sound on 'Within Destruction'. But overall, I definatly loved this CD, and am absolutely glad I bought it.