An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

As I Lay Dying went through some significant changes with their new CD "An Ocean Between Us". They lost their bassist due to personal reasons and recorded the CD with their new bassist, Josh Gilbert. Josh also sings on the record which is considerably better than Clint's previous vocals. The overall sound on this record is incredible. Jordan does an amazing job with drums on this record, as he always does. He mantains his perfect double bass action flawlessly. The stars of the this record are, without a doubt, Nick and Phil. The bring a whole new style of thrash to this record, keeping Tim Lambesis' promise to their fans, while keeping their fantastic melodic leads through the chorus'. As I Lay Dying come into this record with amazing technicality and musicianship, and prove themselves to their fans and to all the naysayers out there that they are truly on the top of their game.

Tim Lambesis is one of the most talented vocalists in the metalcore genre. His voice takes control of the songs with his raw emotion and gripping vocals demanding your attention. Also, Tim follows through with his typical amazing lyrics. Drawing on inspiration from his faith and battles that we all face in life, to make incredible lyrics. The vocals fit well with the music, although there are some spots where you wonder what exactly is going on with Tim's vocals (sounds like there are 7 Tim's), it all ends up fitting together well. Josh Gilbert does the singing on this CD, and he does the job the best that it has been done on and AILD record. He sings on almost 50% of the CD, bringing an extreme change to the record. Overall the vocals and lyrics are near perfect on this record.

Overall, I had been anticipating this CD for almost 3 months and when I finally got it I was not disappointed. With everything from thrashy guitars, followed by blazing guitar solo after guitar solo and melodic, moody chorus', this CD has everything a fan of music should need. It is easily better than all of they're other records. If I had to name my favourite songs, they would be: Nothing Left, I Never Wanted, and This Is Who We Are. If it were stolen I would easily buy it again.