An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

I personally am a huge as I lay dying fan. Since I heard the track "Withen Destruction" I was hooked and so excited to hear more new songs. Many of the songs did not disappoint. With the band now trying to break away from the metalcore territory and venture into thrash and sometimes even death metal. This album is a completly diffrent experience than any other album by them. First off musically they stepped up their game. Instead of following the double bass the band now is lead by a hail of guitar riffs that could make dime say damn. Secondly the addtion of large choruses however this is one change that doesnt't go so well. The choruses are often boring and too long.

As I lay dyings lyrics are simply amazing. Every albums lyrics are deep and meaningful. The band is very much christian however the lyrics don't directly meantion god and can be taken in many ways. For example "if music is a mirror revealing the depths of my heart then I will write the darkest song for without forgiveness my soul." However sometimes the lyrics don't seem to make all that much sense.

In direct comparison this is simply not the bands strongest album. Frail words simply owns this album. However this is not to say the album doesnt't have it's strong points. Songs like "Withen Destruction", and "Bury Us All" almost make tracks like nothing left forgivable. However all that said this is still an as I lay dying album and they are trying to do something new and diffrent and I still give them mad respect for breaking away from metalcore. If this album were stolen I would buy it again.