An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

As I Lay Dying's sound has grown a bit more thrash in this album than in their previous. The new sound in my opinion is a very good sound for them. Because the album has a bit of a different sound it is very refreshing and change was very good for the band. Not that their old stuff wasn't amazing, it was, their new sound just is better. The Album starts out with a intro called Separation. It is a softer musical intro lasting a short 1:15 but is a great intro going into "nothing left". It opens perfectly for this song which I believe is the best song on the album and a great pick for the first single. I noticed in this album their was much more guitar solos in this album that in previous ones which was great! One other adjustment As I lay Dying has made to their music is their backup vocalist gives a lot more vocals in this album than previous albums. The Track "I Never Wanted" has him throwing a lot vocals for the song. This is really a great track to throw in the middle of the album to switch things up a bit. While some As I Lay Dying fans may think that Tim should get most of the vocals in every song, I believe that this is a great track to throw in an intense album. The rest of the albums sound is thrash/metal/hardcore, and I fell in love with AILD's new sound.

The lyrics on this album are great because they tied into the music magically and were screamed with much emotion and meaning. Tim's voice is at his best in this album and no one will be disspointed in him in this album. The Vocals are the main reason I fell in love with AILD and I was not dissapointed in the least. The Lyrics are meaningfull and were not just scribbled onto a piece of paper to go with any old song. The Lyrics really work with the music and AILD's beliefs have really shined through in this album.

They've done it again, I have fallen in love with this album, I managed to get my hands on the album before it was released and I was not let down. Solid Metal all the way through. Most impressive songs are Nothing Left and the Sound of truth. (Being a drummer) I love the drumming more than anything in AILD but the guitar solos and vocals were also spectacular in this album. 2 or 3 of the songs sounded very much alike and that was the only problem I had with the album. but the most solid metal album I've heard in a long time. If it was stolen I would definatly buy it again cause I just love it!

Dooger
    this cd kicks every other cd's ass....i love it. As I Lay Dying is the best ****in band ever!!!
    *synystergates*
    guitarunderoath wrote: I must say that it's quite stupid and incoherent that on the homepage of ultimate guitar, where the review is being announced, they put a photo of only one member which in fact isn't a part of AILD anymore. In concern to the album, I think it's great, their best work until now!
    yes i agree about the photo of clint lol i cant believe UG did that... but gtrat album! love it
    ricthesic
    whats up with the emo vocals from the bass?? as i lay dying has forever turned me off of "metalcore" i think their chorus that goes "is this your salvation....." is more emo and pop then the confined and darkest nights chorus i feel ashamed to have listened to them b4 i should have listened to the people that said stay away from that metalcore shit
    AILD_014
    wow this is their best record yet they put out more solos than before they got the fast riffs n stuff... to me... compare to frail words,shadows... this record ownz!!! cant wait to see them live and see them do their thing and just for u retards out there... they're not emo... they're Christian they don friken cut themself and i don if ppl r emo it's just bullsh*t leave the emo kids alone!!! xD!
    Reiatsu
    Excellent Album! Best one by AILD so far. At first when I heard they were changing their sound I cringed a bit, but after hearing the first few tracks, I was completely relieved. The drums are still just as heavy and fast, but the guitar work is leaps and bounds above what was in Shadows are security. 9/10
    HavokStrife
    xXChimairaXx
    Man I don't care what kind of music you listen to or if your one of those stupid genre people, As I Lay Dying has made good music and they continue to do so. I just saw them at Warped Tour. Basically the only reason I went was to see them and Killswitch Engage. They were great.
    Artisan_Bassist
    rictazero wrote: this has got to be one of the best CDs i have ever heard. AILD is ****ing amazing. to the unregistered guy, you're supposed to rate the LYRICS not the sound of Tim's voice, and the lyrics are amazing! i don't care if you can't understand it, if you're really into metal you'd be able to
    besides that, bands usually put their lyrics in their album art thingy.....and if not,you can find them on the internet. It's not too hard to get the lyrics. and besides, Tim's voice is absolutely amazing.
    XxShredderxX
    I noticed that too! thats soweird; out of all the band member they could have picked, the quitter was put on thefront page. great observation btw.
    ironman316
    this is their best album so far. i love it. i honestly can't stop listening to it. awesomeness.
    boyan89
    guitarunderoath
    boyan89
    YES!! AS I LAY DYING HAVE PRODUCED A MASTERPIECE I SHALL REVIEW THIS ALBUM!!
    Daan Nieboer
    I ****in' love this band! The new album sonuds absolutely different from the albums before, more melodic. Wrath Upon Ourselves is the best track of the album. Impact like a bomb! AILD FOR LIFE!
    deafening
    amazing album, aslo...the unregistered review was clearly written by a moron, its a load of BS and should be discarded
    SineRider
    Personally I prefer AILD's first two records over their new stuff. But this record is great none the less.
    Afi_rocker_91
    boyan89 wrote: oh and this is their best work! i think the emos who listened to as i lay dying won't like this but its worth a shot! it's one of the greatest albums ever in my opinion i mean listen to them starting from Beneath The Enceasing of Ashes to this album and see how much they have progressed!
    not true, i listen to alot of emo/indie kind of stuff..but AILD is just simply amazing
    sc_stanger
    oh my god i love their new album....my favourite song is well EVERY song lol...but for me forsaken sticks out the most....the chorus just reels me in...the whole song gets me PUMPED UP
    curtain1080
    hellraiser91
    this is by far my favorite album of theirs. i love all the songs but i like within destruction a lot. i got to see/meet these guys at warped tour and they're amazing!
    shmitty2345
    curtain1080 wrote: can lambesis even sing? gotta say i have more credit for vocalists who can do both, akerfeldt, labonte, jesse from kse, howard jones, tsk.
    tim does the clean vocals in one of the new songs on the cd so yes he can sing.
    kdcisgod
    personally this is my favorite album from this band and [imo] their best the screaming has improved the singing is still up there with the previous albums the guitar is fun the drums are fast sounds good to me
    lilboisX3
    boyan89 : to the unregistered guy excuse me! did you just diss as i lay dying yah soo what if you cant understand him! I can, i mean come on! well its a mark down. i mean how can i judge the lyrics if i cant understand them. maybe you missed the other points i said. but i have a valid opinion. i honestly want to love the band again but if they rewrite their last CD using extremely similar riffs and have CDs of filler. yes filler cause like every other album they made alot of songs sound similar. personally they should do what Bodom does and that is make LP's with a small number of songs that are all good instead of 14 tracks of filler with only a small handfull of decent songs
    rictazero
    Styx
    who the hell told u guys that As I Lay Dying is emo?!*caugth*crap* This Album Is Freaking Amazing, is like a new step for metalcore!!!
    lilboisX3
    HavokStrife : AILD has to be the most generic metalcore band ever. That opening riff in their single out now is the only thing on the album I liked. I don't understand how someone could actually like, and listen to this band. And they're nowhere near the musicians people make them out to be, honestly. finally someone else sees that they are so godamn generic i dont wanna buy an album for 4 good songs i wanna buy an album cause its all good. not 4 good songs and the rest sound the same. Tims vocals are crap he was better in the old CD. The clean vocals are pathetic its like they dont try. track 11 has a good vibe going in the begining and they slaughter the whole feel of the song. i wonder are they even trying. i like being able to understand what they are saying. alot of metal bands have lyrics i can understand. i know what shadows fall says same with lamb of god in flames well new in flames, i can understand corey taylor. shit killswitch engages vocalist is good too. i know what each of those guys is saying. for all i know Tim Lamb. could be singing about gay sex not that he is just a statement. what reallly seperates the songs is the lyrics. i dont think that tim is the best out there he actually sounds worse than before. my buddy is a AILD fan to the death and he is extremely dissappointed as well. honeslty it feels like they are out to make money sometimes. its sad i really used to love this band too