An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

As I lay dying is one of the best metal/hardcore bands out there right now. Their new CD "An Ocean Between Us" is faster and a little heavier than their previous record. The Vocals have been cleaned up a bit and the new clean vocals mix well with the screaming. The songs also flow in a nice order. The brutality of this CD is not as great as it was in the previous ones either. With the exeption of some of their songs like "Within Destruction" or "Wrath Upon Ourselves".

I personally think the lyrics on this cd are pure gold. The song "Noting Left" describes a decaying world, much like our own. As I Lay Dyings lyrics range from brutal and dark to lyrics describing hope and fate. The vocalists do better than they have ever done this time around. The screaming and singing flow very nicely together. The singing has been dumbed down a bit in some songs but in others it is as brutal and hardcore as ever.

So far this is my favorite album this year. It hasn't left my CD player since the day I got it. To me the most impressive songs on the album were "nothing left", "within destruction", "forsaken", and the most brutal song "Wrath upon ourselves". I love that AILD has not changed their sound or their genre, but they have changed the way they put their music together to create something new and fresh. There is nothing that I realy hate about this album, although I wish they would have replaced the instrumentals with real songs.

rcw110131
    xCoilx wrote: theres nothing unique about his voice lol there are a million hardcore bands tnat sounds like him.and screaming isnt even a talent.
    Are you fu cking retarded? Screaming requires just as much training and talent as singing you dumbass. Let's see you try to scream even one line of a song before a) blowing your vocal cords and/or b) sounding like a whiny little bitch who just got sent to his room. Get your head out of your ass before making stupid comments like that.
    rictazero
    I don't see how AILD is generic... wtf? This CD is amazing, and at least they didn't go all Atreyu on us.
    samhearn
    Oh.....My.....GOD!!!! when i heard this album it was so powerful i wet myself!
    stumaster18
    AMAZING. THIS is metal. AILD at the top of their careers. Every song is just a pure metalfest. Absolutely amazing CD I recommend to ANY metal fan! 10/10
    xjmeex
    listened to it...its really disappointing actually..cant feel the fast energetic melody in this album comparing to the two previous ones...
    lilboisX3
    yeah its very bland. they are kind of like a self parody now. everything that WAS good about that band now just satirizes itself. its sad really cause they obvious cant make a NEW cd with NEW material they just rewrite using the same formula to please all their fans so they will buy the CD.
    xCoilx
    *synystergates*
    yeah me too!!
    Ash on fires wrote: I think its their best to date, but I miss the old bassist's voice.
    boyan89
    i think this is a fantastic album from AILD and yes they did try if they didnt why would they be producint this, to make something they didnt want? they still kept to their roots but like improved like a shitload on this album! and this album is in no way generic!
    boyan89
    im glad we have bands like this, and a lot of people listen to them overshadowing a lot of emo shit! Metalhead forever!
    LakeboDom
    ricthesic wrote: whats up with the emo vocals from the bass?? as i lay dying has forever turned me off of "metalcore" i think their chorus that goes "is this your salvation....." is more emo and pop then the confined and darkest nights chorus i feel ashamed to have listened to them b4 i should have listened to the people that said stay away from that metalcore shit
    You should feel ashamed. If you feel bad because you like something your indeed a poser and no nothing about AILD. Who cares what the new singing sounds like. If its emo woahhhhh oh nooooo the worlds gonna end. Fuck give it a rest with this emo crap. And metalcore is garbage in general. It died when everyone copied breakdowns
    LakeboDom
    lilboisX3 wrote: HavokStrife : AILD has to be the most generic metalcore band ever. That opening riff in their single out now is the only thing on the album I liked. I don't understand how someone could actually like, and listen to this band. And they're nowhere near the musicians people make them out to be, honestly. finally someone else sees that they are so godamn generic i dont wanna buy an album for 4 good songs i wanna buy an album cause its all good. not 4 good songs and the rest sound the same. Tims vocals are crap he was better in the old CD. The clean vocals are pathetic its like they dont try. track 11 has a good vibe going in the begining and they slaughter the whole feel of the song. i wonder are they even trying. i like being able to understand what they are saying. alot of metal bands have lyrics i can understand. i know what shadows fall says same with lamb of god in flames well new in flames, i can understand corey taylor. shit killswitch engages vocalist is good too. i know what each of those guys is saying. for all i know Tim Lamb. could be singing about gay sex not that he is just a statement. what reallly seperates the songs is the lyrics. i dont think that tim is the best out there he actually sounds worse than before. my buddy is a AILD fan to the death and he is extremely dissappointed as well. honeslty it feels like they are out to make money sometimes. its sad i really used to love this band too
    First. AILD is not generic metalcore. They are one of the first in the Genre they have now left showing in their new album. Second. Its kinda hard to hear lyrics in Metal dont you think....otherwise its not Metal...lol. Thats the difference between growling or screaming and...SINGING! Third. The bands you mentioned do scream or growl and it is in fact hard to understand. Shadows Fall: One of the most overrated bands. Guitarists are good but cant write good music if thier life depended on it. Lamb of God is okay. Guitarists play same riffs pretty much. LMAOOO Corey Taylor....im not gonna say anything about Slipknot i dont need to ha. New inflames is weak they havent made anything good in yearssss. Fourth: Its IMPOSIBLE for any album to have all their songs be amazing. and also your friend would have to be a fan of "generic metalcore" to not like the new album dont you think? W/e This album is amazing.
    Bunyip
    I agree with the above thoughts on the album: I very much liked the previous albums. And I realy like the new direction they have taken. they have really steped up a notch. with regards to the new singer: I can hear Il Nino in there somewhere and would like to hear other ppls opinions on this???? (Im not saying its a bad thing by the way, just saying)