An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

When I first heard about how As I Lay Dying was talking about changing their sound, I was expecting to be disappointed. I was expecting them to follow what bands like Atreyu or Trivium did and become more "rock" or "thrash" and totally get rid of anything metalcore that they used to have and just straight up sell out. But AILD didn't do such a thing. They took metalcore to a whole new level. And I can only use one word to describe it: amazing. Taking their signature sound and throwing in amazing solos, incredible drum licks, and different styles of vocals is what made this album so incredible. Metalcore bands beware, As I Lay Dying is breaking some tough grounds and they're holding no punches.

The lyrics this time around are still what you'd expect to hear from AILD but with more power and passion behind it. And the music behind the lyrics just drive it perfectly. Especially on songs like "Nothing Left," "An Ocean Between US," "Forsaken," and "I Never Wanted."

As I Lay Dying really stepped it up about a hundred notches with this album. Breaking new grounds in metalcore with face-melting solos, fast-picking melodies, thundering and blasting drums, brutal breakdowns, and agressive yet passionate vocals is what AILD has brought to the table. This album is definitely a classic in metalcore history.

jj3501
    this album absolutely blows thier other two out of the water, nuff said.
    Jester.Race
    This album is a masterpiece, by far their best work. I bought it and have listened to it in full about ten times so far. It thrashes better than most thrash bands, and its an all around American metal epic.
    lilboisX3
    HAHA see im not the only one who thinks its the same album.
    sg4ever
    When is someone going to tab The Sound of Truth!? Sorry for the is irrelevance of this (AILD rocks! there, happy?), but someone needs to put one up. I'm not about to do it. It would to much of my time.
    Jester.Race
    lilboisX3 : bludwolfrocks wrote: doood this album is the same thing as shadows of our security cept that was album better HAHA see im not the only one who thinks its the same album.
    You two are morons, Shadows are Security is extremely generic metalcore. It has no diversity to it, and the second half of the album sounds like its all the same (bad) song.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Just picked this album up today, and I must say, in my opinion this is one of the best metal albums of the year, and almost eclipses Machine Head's The Blackening. Can't wait for the next album!
    JVDumarC
    Fuck I've just heard 2 tracks, "Within Destruction" and "An Ocean Between Us"... I'm already blowned the **** away and my favoritism for AILD has been REBORN! I should buy the record.
    roosterfx1
    This, machine Heads "The blackening", and Avenged sevenfolds new album are the best metal albums of 2007 so far...in my opinion.
    xXcriesinvainXx
    im just happy they got away from the (open) 7 8 10 (triplet) 10 8 7 bull shit. They kind of changed there rifts up a bit. And there lyrics are more on the happy side. Not so much about depressing shit. I like the new album. And, to the people who dont like it all that much, Just be happy they didnt start liking men and go all Atreyu on us...
    salsawords