An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

I think that there guitarists Nick and Phil have increasing gotten better at there instruments. An Ocean Between Us features all kinds of fast rifts mixing with sweeping solos and shredding lines. The music has influenced me greatly in music. The mixing of Tims and Joshs new vocals make every chorus on the record seem like something new. Each record keeps getting better. I recently saw them in concert where they mastered their new solos without problem at all.

The lyrics almost take a different direction on this album. They take on a new world that is coming to an end. On their previous albums they discuss more personal experiences. Comfort Betrays is a new song on the album which I figured out was pointed towards their former bassist clint norris. The title of the song is pretty self explanatory.

Overall I feel like this is the best album to come out in very long time. Some of my favorite songs from the album are an ocean between us, forsaken, bury us all, and wrath upon ourselves. If you have a chance you should check these out. What I love most about the record is that unlike some bands such as atreyu and trivium, as I lay dying stays true to their sound and they keep it going. They don't complete change their image and their sound. There was nothing really I didn't like about it. If I had lost this I would buy it in a heartbeat.