An Ocean Between Us review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Aug 21, 2007
As I Lay Dying: An Ocean Between Us

AILD has come quite a long ways since Shadows Are Security, and has made an arguably strong record. It feels like it's lost some of the brutality that they had before, though. That was the first difference that I noticed. It's got a really good thrash sound, but the best song on the whole CD is Nothing Left. It's the second track, and after that it just feels like the CD goes downhill. To be honest, I didn't like the last four or five tracks all that much. They were good songs, but they don't feel like they flow well with the album. Everything keeps getting quieter and less metal towards the end. I think AILD should have spiced it up with some more thrashy songs at the end of the CD. One of the things that saves the record is the solos, which are well done and I can't complain. But don't expect this CD to blow away your mind because, apart from the solos, it doesn't feel like the boys have evolved much. And it's not as thrashy as people would have you think. It still sounds really hard/metalcore.

The lyrics are Christian. No swearing, nothing "bad" about them. They're pretty good. They're very hopeful. And the singer is pretty good, excellent, actually. He manages to balance well between screams and singing, although his growling presence is too similar to his screams for my taste. There's plenty left to be desired though, because his screams do sound very Killswitch Engage-inspired. That's no doubt thanks to their producer. The lyrics make this CD soar.

It sounds like pretty generic metalcore, apart from the solos. Maybe I'm being too harsh, because this CD has a much higher rating from most other people than what I've given it, but it isn't the glorious return of thrash. If somebody stole it from me, I'd be irritated, but it wouldn't be a huge deal. I have a copy of it on my iTunes. If they pushed themselves to get more brutal and have more solos and breakdowns, it would have been amazing. It had more potential than what it delivered on.

TheDisturbed78
    their best album so far, shadows are security is 2nd best, i dont like frail words collapse that much.
    rebofthetemple
    i can't listen to much of this band, they sound like every other metalcore band out there. Lyrics are pretty good (yes i've read them), though I still say August Burns Red has them beat.
    bulletrocks522
    I think they are too metal, and not enough hardcore. I love metal if its done right. Frail Words was the best. Shadows was the worst. This one is in second.
    foreverconfined
    nothing will ever out do frail words collapse. EVER. distance is darkness + forever = unbeatable. period.
    Asilaydyingeek
    clint had a horrible live voice though. he didnt even sing on the record
    *synystergates* wrote: yeah me too!! Ash on fires wrote: I think its their best to date, but I miss the old bassist's voice.