Cauterize review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 25, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
As I Lay Dying: Cauterize

It's been awhile since I've kept up with one of my all-time favorites bands, As I Lay Dying. Sure, my music tastes have matured but AILD has and always will hold a special place in my heart, but I do not follow every move they make like I did when I was younger. That being said, I was completely unaware that they were working on a new album, titled "Awakened", set for a September 25th release. On June 25th, the band released the track "Cauterize" for the public to download. Upon first hearing "Cauterize", I felt that it was a typical As I Lay Dying song. It followed a similar style/sound that reminded me of "The Powerless Rise" and "Decas". The song starts out aggressive with frontman, Tim Lambesis, exercising the higher pitch scream. The guitars follow with a punchy, thrash-like riff accompanied by a energetic drum pattern with hints of potential blast beats. I might add that drummer, Jordan Mancino, is one of the most underrated drummers in metal today. The man has talent. With further listening, I came across my first and only serious problem with this song around the 2:14 mark: the breakdown. Breakdowns have become a cliched and uninspired part of metalcore. The open fret, palm-muted chugging along with quarter note splash cymbals. This is killing metal in my opinion. I may stand alone on this viewpoint but I know I am sick of hearing the same breakdown. As I Lay Dying in the past has done a great job at avoiding the generic breakdown, but this time they fell victim to it. The solo of the song luckily pulled the song out of the breakdown rutt, and was very warm and melodic. It is nice to hear a solo that has some substance to it rather than just fast playing and sweeps. The solo leads to another verse of the chorus, which could be viewed as monotonous but if it works for your band, why change it?

The chorus of "Cauterize" is one that you would come to expect from As I Lay Dying. It is a punchy, melodic riff played on the higher end of the fretboard with bassist Josh Gilbert clean singing the hook. Gilbert has gotten some hell from the metal community for having "whiny" vocals but his vocals fit well in this song and do not come across as whiny in this instance.

"Cauterize" is not the strongest release that As I Lay Dying has had. It fell along the same patterns as songs of their past. Usually, As I Lay Dying's style changes a little bit for each album but I think the band has found a groove they are comfortable with. AILD never releases their big punch-out songs before their albums drop, so I expect some real catches on "Awakened" although, sadly, "Cauterize" didn't do much for me.

=McS=
    thegreasefire
    BuriedAlive7x wrote: This song actually gets better every time I listen to it....and please STOP CALLING AS I LAY DYING "METALCORE" they are a "METAL" band.
    Hahaha Yep, they're metalcore, alright... I get the feeling that your problem is the fact that you enjoy As I Lay Dying (as do I) but people generally use the term "metalcore" as a bad thing, therefore, you don't want one of your favorite bands to be looked down upon. You need to accept the fact that amongst all the crappy metalcore bands out there, there are actually some pretty good ones, such as As I Lay Dying.
    m4ss3 m/
    EpiExplorer
    They're a metalcore band.
    Zan595
    Eh, "Metalcore" is a weird genre...with that word being so vaguely thrown around, most people bunch bands like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack in the same genre as bands like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, and Lamb of God. On topic, however, this song sounds a little too similar to their old stuff for me.
    Logan_B
    How the **** did this song get such a low rating. As I Lay Dying is unstoppable and their new album will be nothing less than a masterpiece. I laughed when I saw the lyrics got a low rating, Lambesis writes really good lyrics in my opinion.
    EpiExplorer
    BwareDWare94
    Do you even know anything about music? They're obviously a metalcore band.
    sonicx2218
    I actually really liked that. I thought it was well put together. I know this site is a haven for people who hate mostly any genre that has harsh vocals, which explains the low rating of course. Metalcore is grouped with bands like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack, so it's no wonder people are gonna think it's crap before even listening.
    BuriedAlive7x
    BwareDWare94
    EpiExplorer wrote: m4ss3 m/ wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Finally, people are realising how bad metalcore is these days. Yes, metalcore is mostly shit these days but there are still bands like KsE and AILD who play real metalcore. Its not really who is 'real' or not, its more, who actually doesn't sound like complete toss. There are the more experimental bands who write progressive music (DEP, SikTh, PTH, etc), but unique straight up metalcore is hard to find. I can only think of Converge, Himsa, Earth Crisis and This Is Menace as good metalcore.
    God, I miss Himsa. Oh, and have you heard Becoming the Archetype? GREAT metalcore.
    capernicus0887
    SilentOverseer wrote: I thought the song was one of the best things they have written, then 2:14 came into play and a little part of me died on the inside...
    thegreasefire
    capernicus0887 wrote: That's surprising to me. I consider myself a "metal head". Breakdowns are what I live for. How can you love the rest of the song and not the heaviness at 2:14? I thought that's what most fans agreed upon?
    I can honestly say that I don't listen to As I Lay Dying for their breakdowns, personally... But that's okay. Everybody has their preferences.
    BwareDWare94
    I love As I Lay Dying, but this shit is not up to par and does not sound "new" enough. I don't want The Powerless Rise B-sides.
    SilentOverseer
    BOYERxBREAKDOWN
    =McS= wrote: Why is everyone such a genre snob nowadays? who gives a shit what genre it is, if you like it, you like it. If you don't you don't. Move on with your life. Shit.
    It's just annoying when there is a new big metalcore band all the time. Just a new flavor of the week, it's an over saturated genre that lacks creativity and is going to past in the next few years.