Frail Words Collapse review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jul 1, 2003
As I Lay Dying: Frail Words Collapse

As I Lay Dying released Frail Words Collapse via Metal Blade Records in the summer of 2003. This was there debut album with Metal Blade and outlined the future sound of Metalcore and AILD as a band. And yes, with most Metalcore albums such as this one you will find repetition but none-the-less this is still a rock solid album. I personally like to refer to Frail Words Collapse and As I Lay Dying in general as being a bridge for fans to broaden there musical horizons into heavier, more technical forms and sub-forms of metal. I myself was never into anything heavier than System of a Down or Disturbed until coming upon Frail Words Collapse and its unique combination of Metal/Hardcore and Singing/Screaming that had caught my attention.

The lyrics in Frail Words Collapse are at times simple in content yet still manage to hold deep meaning. Tim Lambesis, the screamer and front man of the band tends to write positive lyrics that reflect upon his Christian religion and his own life experiences. There are times in the album where it can be extremely hard to decipher exactly what the lyrics are, for example in the track 94 Hours. Even though Tim's screaming throughout the album is quite monotone, it fits perfectly well with the rest of the band and their style. Track list goes as follows. 01. 94 Hours 3:11 02. Falling Upon Deaf Ears 2:31 03. Forever 4:43 04. Collision 3:11 05. Distance Is Darkness 2:39 06. Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier 3:03 07. Undefined 2:17 08. A Thousand Steps 1:46 09. The Beginning 3:29 10. Song 10 4:16 11. The Pain of Separation 2:57 12. Elegy 4:47

The Overall feel of Frail Words Collapse rings out to be a pretty good one. Though sound production does surely beat there previous compilation A Long March: The First Recordings, it still doesn't quite peak until there release of Shadows Are Security in 2005. The most impressive standout tracks in my opinion are 94 Hours, Forever, Collision, Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier, The Beginning, and Elegy. All in all, If your a fan of AILD or Metalcore I would highly recommend this album to you if you don't own it already.

Sickz
    Dragonforce F***ing sucks!!!! All they do are solos that do not even go with the damn music. Same with metallica and slayer. All speed metal sucks. Trivium used to be good but their new album that i bought sucked so much that the same day i bought it i returned it. And metallica and slayer (and any other 80's-90's band for that matter)need to quit making albums and going on tour. they are just emabarrassing themselves. Hardcore, Screamo and Metalcore rocks and speed metal sucks. Enough said.
    Get your head out of your ass and just say it aint your taste. If Metallica and Slayer were as bad as your saying how come they are some of the largest metal bands? But sure, if you like dont leave your close minded mind.