Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

Metalcore, thrashcore, hardcore, hard rock. All these describe As I Lay Dyings newest work Shadows Are Security. I was a huge fan of Frail Words Collaspe, and was a bit skeptical when I heard that they had lost their guitarist(s). But when I bought this album and stuck it in, I was completely relieved. The riffs are still just as technical and just as earthbreaking. Phil and Nick do an excellent job on the guitar duties, two thumbs way up! What would As I Lay Dying be without their drummer Jordan Mancino. Not half as good for sure. He has to be one of the best drummers on the scene right now. NOBODY competes with him in his double-kicks, simply incredible. Tim Lambesis is back holding the microphone, and still kicking serious ass while doing it. I think I can honestly say noone quite sounds like him. He just has a whole freaking lot of power in his scream. I've noticed he keeps it lower, more like a yell in this album, creates a very good effect. Clint Norris is handeling bass duty, and is doing the clean singing youll hear every once in a while on the record. The clean vocals along with the super charged guitars help keep the music emotional.

The lyrics of the album are not super good, but they do give good heart felt looks at (I think) Lambesis' love life. I heard say in an interview that the lyrics were about the ups and downs of love which I think works well with the style of metalcore theyve gone for because it almost has an emo tint to it. Tims vocals are still perfect. Hes one of the few metal vocalists to get "screaming lessons" (yes they do exist), and I think it shows.

I think overall its a pretty good album, I would compare it to albums like All That Remains - This Darkened Heart, Shadows Fall with less singing, or even Lamb Of God. I would have to say the most impressive songs would be Confined, The Darkest Night, and Control is Dead, which features Dan Weyandt from ZAO. If this CD were stolen Id burn off my computer. Its good, but not good enough to go spend another 17 bucks on it. I've got guitar strings to buy.