Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

As I Lay Dying is the reason I got into speed metal/metalcore. And I think shadows are security is their best album yet. In every song the percussion is loud and the guitar is always consistent. Metalblade records did a good job recording because the sound is perfect. This is their second album with Metalblade (previously with Pluto Records) and the band has their own record label, Clockwork Recordings, that helps upcoming bands who want to get their record out. One of the songs, "Control Is Dead" is played with Zao Lead guitar, Dan Weyandt. Oh, and if you haven't noticed, if you put as I lay dying next to their album names you make a sentence, like: As I lay dying, frail words collapse. It also works with some of the songs.

The lyrics haven't changed much, just the same christian lyrics. Although, they talk a lot about darkness in this album. They really come up with good song and album names. They also talk about war in this album, in a negative way. Tim Lambesis has a great yelling voice and after a while you get used to it and understand everything he says, but he doesn't do the singing (not yelling), the lead guitar takes care of that.

It's lighter than Frail Words Collapse but is faster in a way. As I Lay Dying is pretty unique, and I can't think of any bands alike. I love every song on the album, but my favorites are: Meaning In Tragedy, Confined and Reflection. I love the speed and consistence of the songs, and I don't hate anything about it. If it were stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again, and while I'm at it buy Beneath the Encasing Ashes.