Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

As I Lay Dying is a metalcore band, and a damn good one. OK I don't really like metalcore, because usually the talent in the bands are pretty low, but I like bands that have lots of talent and As I Lay Dying is one of them. The vocalist is great, his death metal growls, and screams is probably the best in the Metalcore scene. He makes his screams sound good with the music, witch adds alot to the sound of the band, and his screams can sometimes be so brutal that I can't help but like him. The guitarists play the usual droped-C open power chord chuggs, but the thing that makes them sound unique is the technical little riffs between the chuggin' gives depth to the guitar playing. They do have a few solos that are good and match the song, while being tehnically impressive; but I would like to solos as a common thing for them, it would really add a lot to thier music. I can't hear the bassist alot of the time because the guitars sound so low, but his clean vocals really add alot of depth in there. OK now for the big fish, the core of the band. Jordan Mancino the drummer, his drumming is amazing, probably the top of the new wave of good metal, he has skill, and great rhythm, his drumming adds so much to the band that you might actually remember the drum bits more than the riffing! Overall, great quality. The music has great elements of thrash, and death metal, witch makes for a brutal, killer, badass album.

The lyrics are great Tim writes from his heart about his feelings, and religion, I love that every song has meaning. Tim's vocals are brutal, and very strong. He doesn't possess to much range he has a low growl, a low scream, and a kinda high scream, not bad. His tone is that of a grizzly bear, I like it. He has quite a bit of power for a screamer, probably the most I've ever heard from a screamer, witch isn't bad. Overall, very good! His lyrics can sometimes sound like he is praying to God, because he capitalizes You in the book, witch is cool, he is letting you in on his most inner feelings.

Firstly thier religion doesn't take away from thier music, witch means that even someone without religion, or with a different religion could listen to thier music. You might have to listen through the album a few times before really getting it, but that is only if you aren't used to hardcore music, hardcore metal fans should feel right at home. As I Lay Dying has made a great album with great riffs, drumming, singing a lyrics, and even a few catchy tunes, and few great solos. If I could change anything about this album it would be alot more guitar solos, As I Lay Dying could really benefit from it.

metalkid66
    HospitalMusic
    Maggotkiller
    I just got done downloading Megadeth's Cryptic Writings on my MP3 player and it is ****ing awesome man check it out!
    Maggotkiller
    Oh hell yeah man I'll try not to i mean if you look at it I'm 15 and in a moshpit I'll get bruised up pretty damn bad but it's worth it. I'm tellin you man get that new ****ing Tool C.D. man it's sweet The new Chilli Peppers C.D. isn't to bad either. See I have a broad range in music.
    Maggotkiller
    Sorry about that i've been on a Tool forum for 10,000 Days, Slayers new C.d. comes out 6/6/06 the same day their tour starts and I'm going to see them in Atlanta!!!!!
    Modernmusich8er
    Yeah, I'm still alive, nothins been happening to talk about. I was wondering when someone was gonna post another comment.
    Modernmusich8er
    Tell me about it, I haven't read about the news thing on Megadeth, there's news on the main page of this site.
    Maggotkiller
    Oh well screw em this isnt their website so until the officials say something were staying in this chatroom.
    Maggotkiller
    Yeah that would suck if they didnt but maybe they have learnedd from their mistakes and wise up oh yeah Megadeath went to Roadrunner AWESOME!!!!!
    Maggotkiller
    I can't wait till Metallica's & Slayers new albums I hope Metallica's new album is gonna be better than St.Anger.
    Modernmusich8er
    No I haven't heard it, I might have to hear that. I'm still waiting for Iron Maiden and Metallica's new albums. Thanks for the info though.
    Maggotkiller
    Dude have you heard Tool's new c.d. it's awesome I waited eight hours outside of Hasting's to get it. Pick it up man it'll be worth it.
    Maggotkiller
    Wonder if people are gonna get pissed because were not talking about As I Lay Dying....? Oh well **** em'.
    Maggotkiller
    Yeah I know man but it takes a lot of work to get that perfect riff Right now on my own time I'm trying to learn Metallica's Welcome Home Sanitarium and man talk about hard dude it's like hell but it'll be interesting when I master it.
    Modernmusich8er
    HospitalMusic wrote: This isnt a damn chatroom people we have aim for that stuff. BTW AILD is a good band i played them out though and yes all their stuff sounds the same. i havent really grown to classic rock its kinda ok. im into the more modern bands and genres man.
    They caught us.
    Maggotkiller
    Cool thanks I'll tivo it man it's gonna be awesome. Writing originals is'nt hard I'm good at writing dark poetry so I'll probably write most of our songs. The only hard part is making the music to go with the song.
    Maggotkiller
    Yeah I think Paanteraa's music brings all together plus I watched the behind the music Pantera. Oh yeah, I started a new band we are called disfigured fiend. I'm about to post some of our material we've done to covers so far Confined by As I Lay Dying and Cemetary gates by Pantera I'm lead guitar and backing vocals.
    boyan89
    pantera are awesome and cemetery gates is an awesome song i have all their cds rip dimebad
    XxWoRdSoFsOrRoW
    hey modernmusich8er and maggotkiller yoll wanna go get drunk and stoned at the same time!! F*** YEA!!!!!
    Modernmusich8er
    Cemetary Gates is a great song. I think I've seen the behind the music about 5 times now. Every time I see it it makes me wish that killer was alive so I could make him wish he was dead.
    boyan89
    one more thing i think Modernmusich8er is rite when he says that Led Zep and all those other classic rock stars are better than As I Lay Dying and i have 2 agree with him i mean As I Lay Dying is good but classic rock just wipes them out no offence
    Modernmusich8er
    I just got Guitar Hero today, friggin sweet game. If you like video games you should pick it up, it has Cowboys From Hell on it, it's awesome.
    boyan89
    i like this band but Metallica, Pantera , Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, System of a Down, Atreyu are kind of better
    Modernmusich8er
    Yeah that was really wierd. Like I said, I have alot of really good friends that love this band and we get along fine, we even jam together sometimes.
    ananya77041
    wow, that's funny...modernmusich8er and maggotkiller started out insulting the crap out of each other, and suddenly they became the best of friends. How you ask? The magic of Pantera! RIP DIMEBAG
    pollodiablo
    hey, maggotkiller and modernmusich8ter, do you have myspaces? i want to be your friends.
    outofmyelement?
    the review by modernmusich8er was by far one of the worst reviews i have ever read.... it makes me wonder wether he even bought the cd and listened to it... now im not saying i like this music... but please try to take reviews seriously... and dont use it just to bash a band you dont like...
    ka0tix
    As I Lay Dying is an awesome band. Don't bash them just because you don't like the screaming. I mean, hell, why would you even bother coming here to comment on some reviews if you don't like the band in the first place? Seems a bit pointless to me, but that's just my opinion.
    Modernmusich8er
    Yeah, I never realized how tough it is to write a timeless riff or solo. With work you can sound like a seasoned guitarist in one song.
    Modernmusich8er
    The Pantera Behind The Music is on VH1, it premiered tonight and will be reeshown alot. I'm watching it right now.
    Modernmusich8er
    metalkid66 wrote: hahahah good one stupid but band like metallica and iron maider are as i lay dyings idols and mainly the reason y they probably got into metal in the first place.... and asi lay dont sing about satanic things they sing about things that are true n corroption and love and pian and hurt.... satanic stuff is like devil worshiping... you dont wat the **** you are talking about and if you dont like metalcore/hardcore metal then write a ****ing review about it.....****in rock on all you metalcore fans like me and stay true unlike this ****er
    please restate that, what good one?
    SweetVampirous
    Dude I listen to everything and they are all different styles. AILD may not be talented but I listen to them anyway because I like them. I am probable above their level too but they don't show how good they are because they don't play too many actual leads. But I still like them. Doesn't matter if they are guitar gods or not. Not everyone plays the same style of music. It just appeals to some people and not to others. I happen to like it but I know that it is simple considering all they usually do is palm mute an open C power chord and then do some quick lead with the double bass rolling but I like it.
    ledzppln1969
    yeah, i hear you. some guy tried to pick shit with me because i like nightwish more than lacuna coil, and i had to deal with the same crap you did. so i feel you man. peace
    Modernmusich8er
    ledzppln1969 wrote: i agree with you modernmusich8er. not necessarily about the band (i havent hear enough by AILD, but i dont particualrly like metalcore/hardcore anyway, but taht doesnt matter). what im saying is yes, reviews are someones opinion. people can say what they want, and you can disagree. but at least you can back up your arguments modernmusich8er, you not just like "rush iz da suxxorrz!!!1"
    thank you very much. I admit I'm harsh at times, but I am pretty passionate when it comes to music. I'm glad to see someone who can think before they speak.
    ledzppln1969