Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

I'm not too heavy into this type of music, but I do enjoy some of it, so I figured I'd give this CD a try. It was on sale for $2 at Sam Goody's going-out-of-business sale, so I figured why not? I will say that I feel I payed way too much for this CD. It is terrible. It's worse than terrible. It has the complete opposite effect of what metal should do: metal should create and inspire energy. That is the point of the fast, heavy music. This CD drained me of all energy; it made me feel weak and tired. Every song sounds exactly the same: a bunch of idiots just hitting their instruments as hard as they can. Monkeys could make this CD.

I tried to sit down with the lyrics to figure out what message this band is trying to get across, but even with the words right in front me, I still couldn't figure out what he was saying. Perhaps he had an accent? Or perhaps he was in the middle of a violent vomitting fit and they decided to record it. Anyone can growl like this. That's why so many bands do it: screaming/growling takes no talent what'soever. These guys can't sing but want to make a bunch of money, so they say "Eh, screw it. Gimmie that mic." There's no vocal rythym, either, which is another aspect of this music that sucks the life from me. Listen to any other type of music, and there is a certain rythym to the singing that fits right in to the music. And even if it doesn't fit, they at least try. For this cd, they recorded the "lyrics" at random, then placed them into the song at random. They don't fit the song. At all. The lyrics in the insert book are actually quite good, but I guess the singer/growlerperson can't read, because what comes out of his mouth sure as hell isn't what's printed in that little book.

This is the worst CD I've ever heard. Every song sounds the same. It starts with the same heavy intro as the screamer/yeller lamely builds up a deep growl that says to me "I act tough and mean because my penis is small". I've read that this is a Christian band. If I were a devoted Christian, I would be ashamed to have this band associated with my faith. It wouldn't matter if this CD were lost or stolen; I've already lost it. Why keep it? This band has no talent at all. Speed is not talent. Talent, in my opinion, is creating music that is interesting, inspiring, original, and/or somewhat enjoyable to listen to, which this is not.