Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

"Shadows Are Security" is the 3rd album from As I Lay Dying, and it has clearly evolved in sound and musicianship. Although in my opinion, "Frail Words Collapse" was there hardest sounding album, "Shadows Are Security" is high ranked in my book. From it's hardcore opener "Meaning In Tragedy", it's drum-pounding "Confined" to it's melodic "The Darkest Nights", this album is booming with a professional and mature sound, but A.I.L.D. still keeps it's metal roots alive with this CD.

The lyrics remain the same writing style A.I.L.D. has kept over the years, but they've chosen to add dark twists and turns to them. Frontman Tim Lambesis drives at each set of lyrics with ear crushing growling/screaming. For fans new to A.I.L.D., it may be hard to understand the lyrics, but you get used to it quickly and soon you may even find yourself growling along with Lambesis. Bassist Clint Norris takes care of the melodic singing, which accents the twin guitar lines very nicely. A.I.L.D. writes from the heart, and it cleary shows.

Some of the songs that really stand out from this album are "Confined", "The Darkest Nights", "Remembering Yesterday" and "Empty Hearts". My overall impression? It's a solid album and I would advise someone who hasn't tasted As I Lay Dying yet to start off with this album.

bass_emagdnim
    JVDumarC wrote: AILD rule... isn't satanic music, wtf he's talkin about?
    Good point... odd how people always assign metal to the guy downstairs isn't it? And As I Lay Dying are friggen awesome! I thought this album sounded a bit generic to be honest, but the earlier stuff is awesome!
    Sixfeetofsoil
    demonhunter2
    awesome cd
    Sixfeetofsoil wrote: as i lay dying ****ing rocks, you pussys just cant handle his screaming so shut the FUCK UP we dont CARE WHAT U THINK ABOUT OUR MUSIC
    someone needs a timeout
    Anarion614
    Modernmusich8er wrote: RIP Dime wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: This band is terrible That's your opinion you stupid mother****er, do us all a favor and shut the **** up if you have a terrible bias against a type of music you shouldn't write a review about it. They have worked very hard and deserve to be on the top of thier stlye of music, witch they are. What they are producing is not music. the lead singer sounds like he's screaming his ass off at his girlfriend while he's beating her. The guitarist does nothing but simple pull offs, the bass player follows the guitarist, and the drummer just pounds on the double bass pedals. Real talented group there. If you play any instrument you'll realize that. I'm a guitarist and a damn good one to boot. Bands like AILD piss me off because they make money off of producing crap, while people like me and other bands like Rush devote their whole life to their instruments and music and make either less or an equal amount of money as AILD. THEY HAVE YOU BRAINWASHED, DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!!!
    your saying because its easier to play its crap?