Shadows Are Security review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: Jun 20, 2005
As I Lay Dying: Shadows Are Security

As I Lay Dying's music goes together better than most bands that I know of. They're second record for Metal Blade Recoeds (Shadows Are Security) was a fanominal hit.Shadows are Security has a lot of meaning behind it. The artists were trying to portray that although you love someone that person might not know it. And that love is meaningless unless there is sacrafice involved, and if you are not willing to sacrifice yourself for that someone, than your love has no meaning behind it.Out of every band I have listened to, none can speel-bind me the way As I Lay Dying Does.You remember an As I Lay Dying song after listening to it.

The lyrics for Shadows Are Security have more meaning behind them than any band I know. The bands signing goes along with all the other instruments. The Singer has a way with writing lyrics and putting them into a song. My over-all impression with this bands singer is that the band would not have gone this far without him.

I do not think it compares to any other band, the singing sounds somewhat like Darkest Hour but other than that they do not really compare to any other band. The best songs on the album to me is track 4 (The Darkest Nights), track 6 (Reflections), track 10 (Control Is Dead) and track 11 (Morning Waits). Each has awesome guitar bass and drum riffs and they all have a lot of meaning behind them. I love how their riffs and how the songs have so much meaning behind them. If this album was stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again.

face_haver
    maxslick wrote: They arent "True Hardcore"? Are you serious? they play drop d, a full step lower and scream there asses off in every song. If you dont think there hardcore listen to it again!
    Far out they play drop C is what you meant to say. Hardcore = hardcore punk, they have a metal sound they are metalcore.
    theduke92
    I wish someone who actually knows what theyre doing would write these reviews. Almost every review on this website is biased. They either hate the band so they give it a one, or its their favorite band and they give it a ten and disregard all the faults.
    face_haver
    The guy who gave this a bad review wrote this. "screaming/growling takes no talent what'soever" seems pretty educated and to have a valuable opinion. (NOTE SARCASM) If you can scream/growl like that loudly without hurting your voice i'd be very surprised but judging by the fact you are douche i doubt it. Also your a syndrome if you can't understand tim's lyrics espeically after you've read the insert. Perhaps a petrol bath and a bout of careless smoking could help you.
    burn the stars
    xFatMikex wrote: Has anybody else noticed that all the songs they've ever made sound exactly the same? Fuck these guys. They call themselves hardcore but they don't know shit about it. But if you do like these guys congratulations on not just liking one band, but a whole genre that sounds alike. There is no progression or originality in metalcore like this. If you want real hardcore look up DONNYBROOK!, Agnostic Front, Gorilla Biscuits, Floorpunch, Bad Brains, Fight Like Hell, Blood For Blood, Have Heart, or Death Before Dishonor.
    you like nofx what you say is good music means nothing, not to mention you forgot minor threat, DK and h2o
    burn the stars
    i just wanted to point out to the writer of the first review "One of the songs, "Control Is Dead" is played with Zao Lead guitar, Dan Weyandt" isnt right, dan does vocals and is still in the band.
    FlameIbrah
    AILD aren't talented. There is no such thing as talent in my book but meh. They make songs that are just some mildly "technical"(read fast) riffs and some above par lyrics. I find it ubsurd they are so popular and regarded as technical and blah blah blah. they are just a metalcore band. a good metalcore band with a drummer that can play double pedal beats that even I can do and I'm not even a drummer. everybody is easily impressed by speed, but remember, blast beats is just a repetative motion overand over. anybody with coordination can do it. AILD is the poster band for metalcore. exactly what most people think of when they hear metalcore. all the songs with the same guitar tone and more or less the same tempo. all with the same structure and all with only 3 or 4 riffs(not including breakdowns). They write catchy songs, and they sound good live. they aren't a ****ing amazing band just not terrible either. they have their own sound and they kind of are the definition of metalcore in a way but still they aren't anything to fuss about.
    maxslick
    lp08
    As I Lay Dying are one of the most talented bands by far (at least in my opinion) great CD. I can't wait for their new one
    gibsonplyr202
    Unregistered sux, he needs to listen to the music and quit being such a n00b about it!!!!
    LakeboDom
    true they arent "TRUE HARDCORE" who cares and originality is an opinion congrats to you for looking like a moron. some songs do sound the same but same thing for true hardcore MOST OF IT SOUNDS THE SAME so stfu
    Underoath^
    As I Lay Dying is a band that is based on the "hit or miss" principle of bands. How do people expect to like a band that specializes in a genere that they dont already like? Also, whoever said AILD is satanic is a moron. If its because of the heavy guitar and insane drumming, ever heard of underoath? Who says a religious band cant scream? They're not my all time favorite, but they rock, and thats all that matters.
    xFatMikex
    markisouvlaki
    wow...this page is massive On topic...I don't like this band, as metalcore bands go they're pretty average
    King ofKumbucha
    Plus_the_Bear wrote: Since when are they even closely related to speed metal/grindcore?!?!?!?! I think not! As I Lay Dying is a guilty pleasure of mine, but it's unfortunate the horrible amount of n00bs and mallcore kids that give them a bad name.
    Agreed.
    King ofKumbucha
    I don't like much Metalcore, but imo this album is good. I like a lot of the riffs and the drumming is amazing. This drummer should be the next Joey Jordenson in that, he is a drummer who isn't in a metal band that is comparable to some of the more technical metal drummers.
    slayer7666
    Plus_the_Bear : As I Lay Dying is a guilty pleasure of mine, but it's unfortunate the horrible amount of n00bs and mallcore kids that give them a bad name.
    hahaha mallcore yeaaa i hate it too but theyr a great band anyways
    Plus_the_Bear
    DaBlackE
    ledzppln1969 wrote: yeah, i hear you. some guy tried to pick shit with me because i like nightwish more than lacuna coil, and i had to deal with the same crap you did. so i feel you man. peace
    nightwish sucks
    Divinephyton
    You can give the cd 10's and everything and bash the one's who disapprove of it all you want, but the fact is...they do have a point when they say ''It all sounds the'' and if you look at the tabs you have to be honest and say ''this is not technical metal'' it's metalcore and that's that...other than that I guess they're better than most other metalcore bands...although I'm not a dedicated metalcore fan, I think outsider's opinions are equally valid as the fans's
    LakeboDom
    Modernmusich8er wrote: RIP Dime wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: This band is terrible That's your opinion you stupid mother****er, do us all a favor and shut the **** up if you have a terrible bias against a type of music you shouldn't write a review about it. They have worked very hard and deserve to be on the top of thier stlye of music, witch they are. What they are producing is not music. the lead singer sounds like he's screaming his ass off at his girlfriend while he's beating her. The guitarist does nothing but simple pull offs, the bass player follows the guitarist, and the drummer just pounds on the double bass pedals. Real talented group there. If you play any instrument you'll realize that. I'm a guitarist and a damn good one to boot. Bands like AILD piss me off because they make money off of producing crap, while people like me and other bands like Rush devote their whole life to their instruments and music and make either less or an equal amount of money as AILD. THEY HAVE YOU BRAINWASHED, DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!!!
    i dont care if ure f***ing yngwie malmsteen you cant put down a band or genre just because you think your better? guess what? practice about 20 more years get to the highest level you can with you and your probably crappy band AND YOU WONT BE ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE AS I LAY DYING IS NOW truth hurts huh
    angels side
    xmurderoticax wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: RIP Dime wrote: Modernmusich8er wrote: This band is terrible That's your opinion you stupid mother****er, do us all a favor and shut the **** up if you have a terrible bias against a type of music you shouldn't write a review about it. They have worked very hard and deserve to be on the top of thier stlye of music, witch they are. they are professional musicians playing at a very low level I'M PISSED BECAUSE I'M A REAL MUSICIAN MYSELF AND I'M BETTER THAN ANY OF THE GUITARISTS IN THE BAND, HOWEVER THEY'RE FAMOUS,I'M NOT. THAT'S WHY I'M SO PISSED!!!!! [quote]Modernmusich8er wrote: I just have a crappy Squier Stratocaster, I've only been playing a year but I play about 3 or 4 hours a day, I love the art of guitar playing
    Ok thats not right. in one comment you said you were all mad because they're famous and your not and that you are better than any player in this band. but on another comment you say you have only been playing a year and whether or not you practice 3 hours a day, unless you are some sort of god than there is no way you can be better than these guys. they have been playing music a majority of there lives. so think before you write something down.
    face_haver
    Also metalcore doesn't all sound alike dude, maybe if you listened to some of the better metalcore out there you'd know that. Also they are metalcore not hardcore, though what is modern hardcore these days? When i say hardcore i mean hardcore punk like old school style. Some people call hatebreed hardcore. I don't get that. But there are definietly techincal, talented and quality metalcore acts out there.