The Powerless Rise review by As I Lay Dying

• Released: May 11, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
As I Lay Dying: The Powerless Rise

First off, I am a huge fan of AILD and have been for many years. But this might be where the album falls short most noticeably. The production quality is top notch, as we've come to expect from As I Lay, the musicianship is as impressive and concise as ever, and the clean vocals feel much more natural and less forced than previous releases. That being said, in my humble opinion this album cannot hold a candle An Ocean Between Us. While the songs are a bit more melodic and complex, they lack the pure power and grit I'd always come to AILD for. Memorable riffs are few and far between, a stark contrast to the previous album, which was a headbanger's best friend and a workout playlist in and of itself. I understand that artists like to explore new sounds as their careers lengthen. But this just doesn't sound any different from other albums in the genre to me.

It's a metal album... I can't lie for a second I rarely listen to this type of music for lyrics. If you do, I have a lot of respect for you, as I can rarely make out more than a few words here and there. I can tell you that the overall performance is impressive. Tim Lambesis seems to have honed his skills as a screamer even more, and the clean vocals feel much more thought out and less forced than they did on previous recordings. I'll go ahead and call this the strong point of the record.

It seems I'm the only one, as most reviews of this album praise it, but I was sorely disappointed when I took the time to listen to The Powerless Rise. Perhaps I was listening to the wrong AILD songs previously (My personal favorites are Elegy, Confined, And Ocean Between Us, Comfort Betrays, Within Destruction, Nothing Left, and Wrath Upon Ourselves) but I was anticipating potent melodic riffs, skilled musicianship, and the usual AILD package that separates them from their fellow mainstream metal acts. Surely, they're still great musicians. I love the band, they're still one of my favorites, and this is decent music. But to me, this album sounds like any other release. Which is the exact opposite of what I expected out of AILD. Perhaps there's something I'm missing. I'll continue playing the new album and hopefully learn to appreciate it. But for now I'm very disappointed.

Eurasian_C
    Skillet_Panhead wrote: Sgt Killswitch wrote: I'm gonna bash on the people that mentioned "generic" again, including the horrible first review. Riddle me this: Are you deaf? Have you listened to the other AILD albums, yet alone this album? This band is doing something that almost no other band today can achieve: improve with every album. Unlike Shadows Are Security, I can name every song on here within the first 3 seconds of listening to them. That's impressive for a band. My point is that these songs are very original and they have solidified themselves as giants in the metalcore scene (there's even melodeath and thrash aspects in this album). By accusing this band of being generic, you either hate the band, hate the genre, hate christians, or have some other invalid reason that makes you sound like a close-minded ignorant tool. And who hired you Amy? That was probably the worst review I've ever read, and I'm not just saying that because I actually enjoy this album. On a more optimistic note, this album is the best thing I've heard so far this year. I listen to all kinds of music, not just metal, but it's safe to say that As I Lay Dying never fails to impress me. It seems like anything Adam D even touches transforms into something awesome (can't wait for ATR's new album!). There's so many different non-metalcore aspects to this cd that really make it an exciting listen. Current favorites are Anodyne Sea and Upside Down Kingdom, but I'm sure that will change by tomorrow. ^pretty much what he said.
    This is probably the best As I Lay Dying album out now. After a few listens, I'm still hooked between this and the new Deftones. It's tight, it's melodic, Tim's vocals got dramatically better, and it's just all around amazing. I personally want to ask people who use the word "generic" this: What exactly is "generic" about this? Generic has been used to sort of describe a current trend in music. This would've been generic if it was still 20042006 when a lot of the music was the singing choruses and the screaming verses. If you want my honest opinion, the new generic is the deathcore genre and everyone else trying to be like The Acacia Strain or Meshuggah, where the 6th string masturbation is at. If anything, this band has consistently stepped up their game from album to album. This is probably the riffiest AILD I've heard ever. And I agree with the person who said that they're drawing more from the melodic death metal riffs. Yeah they may use singing choruses and screaming verses, but they also mix it up. There are songs on here that are all screaming and some songs where the singing isn't necessarily the chorus. I say this is a very beautifully done album with a lot of good contrast in the sound.
    lmpguitarist
    so ive seen mixed reviews of this, and the first review said that this was basic, straightforward metalcore and stuff like that. i just bought this album today, and i totally disagree. compared to their older albums, this is a total turn away from metalcore, or at least it is in my mind. i cant find a single example of those stupid, over done, one note chugging breakdowns on this whole record, which has pretty much become a staple of "metalcore." this is easily the most metal thing AILD has ever done. plus, the guitar work is really good. some sick nasty riffing, and legit soloing. ive always hated them for being a stereotypical cookie cutter metalcore band, but this album has changed my mind on them. buy this album last week if u like metal.
    Nirvanarien
    jetfuel495 wrote: Nirvanarien wrote: Ofcourse you can, just because they made it popular doesn't mean that they're original. The most popular bands are often the least original. And this album wasn't ''more Thrashy than anything''. It had some Thrash riffing yes, but its still Metalcore.Fallacy alert! This isn't TDWP we're talking about here. As I Lay Dying have been doing this sort of style since like, 2001. There weren't as many bands doing this melodic metalcore stuff back in the day. So at the time, almost 10 years ago, this was considered original. Of course, it isn't today, which is why they're trying to progress. At least give them credit for that.
    I wasn't even talking about AILD. Just that, because a band is popular it can still be generic.
    C. BRUCE
    just got the album. and OMG is all i can say....great album. i HIGHLY recommend it