This Is Who We Are [DVD] Review

artist: As I Lay Dying date: 12/17/2009 category: compact discs
As I Lay Dying: This Is Who We Are [DVD]
Release Date: April 14, 2009
Three DVD set featuring an exhaustive documentary, high-energy live performances, and other bonus goodies from these metalcore giants.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 8.5
 8.8
 8.5
This Is Who We Are [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 24, 2009

Sound: After the success of Cannibal Corpse's Centuries of Torment' DVD last year, the folks at Metal Blade Records have done it again. This Is Who We Are' is a 3 DVD set from As I Lay Dying and it's a monster of a package! Included in the box is an exhaustive documentary on the band, a collection of high-energy live performances, and all of the band's official videos and other enticing bonus features. Those of you who are already familiar with the recorded output of As I Lay Dying already know what to sonically expect. The California metalcore giants have always made sure their Swedish death metal inspired guitar riffs are way up front in the mix while the drums and vocals jockey for position beneath it. Engineer Daniel Castleman does a smashing job capturing the intensity of the band's live show while maintaining the meticulous precision of their musicianship. // 8

Overall Impression: With three DVDs included in This Is Who We Are,' you'll have a lot of media to sink your teeth into. This isn't really a one sitting type of experience. The concert footage alone is enough to take in alone. You can go on YouTube and watch these performances on your computer but their panoramic sound and visual quality truly was meant for the wide screen of a television. Like we mentioned before, the documentary disc is gripping but if you don't have the patience or interest in that kind of thing, the live portion is essential for any fan of the band. With so many artists releasing DVDs these days, it's easy to get jaded and take them for granted. But when something like this hit's stores, it's quality is hard to ignore. // 8

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2009

This Is Who We Are [DVD] Reviewed by: lintball0190, on december 17, 2009

Sound: If you like As I Lay Dying you will LOVE this DVD. The sound is as clean as a recorded live performance can get. I just hope you have a nice stereo/surround sound system to enjoy it! Nick Hipa and Phil Sgrosso play their well known licks with precision and attitude. You can hear bass player Josh Gilbert chugging along right along with the guitars. Front man Tim Lambesis screaming passion into the mics. Phil and Josh also have some vocal parts. Josh has the voice of an angel! Lol..no he seriously does. You can hear his voice soar on the live performance of "I Never Wanted". Last but definitely not least, drummer Jordan Mancino keeps the beat with his rediculous double bass skills and his mind blowing fills. // 9

Overall Impression: Really the only other Metal DVD I have seen is "Children of Bodom's Chaos Ridden Years" which was legit. I think that is why I wish the guitarists got more camera time because in COB's DVD Alexi is the frontman as well as lead guitar and has ton's of solo's..I recommend that DVD too. Although this DVD was AWESOME I was slightly dissappointed for some reason. Now that I think about it I know why! Because there wasn't a performance of "Bury Us All" and that is my favorite song next to "Forsaken" which IS on the DVD. I love how they took the time to interview past members and go through all of the band's history which I appreciated.IT makes me like the Band alot more to know who they are and to see a little bit of their lives off stage. There all also a few "guests" in the DVD there are a few scenes with Adam D from Killswitch Engage(He helped produce An Ocean Between Us) goofing around with the band and a scene with the Frontman from August Burns Red, Jacob Luhrs performing with them. If I lost this DVD I wouldn't buy it again..not at $40! I would when the price came down..but it is definitely a must have In your Metal DVD Library. // 8

Comments