1977 review by Ash

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
Ash: 1977

This is the first studio album from three teenage boys from Nothern Ireland, Ash are are mix of indie and punk. After getting signed to Infectious records, they didn't disappoint. The sound in the album, to be honest, isn't the very best quality. It was recorded in 1995/96. A couple of the songs are fictional like "Girl From Mars" (A song about a relationship with an alien) and "Kung Fu" (Ash are big Jackie Chan fans), boys fanasies really. There's fast, adrenaline pumping songs such as "Lose Control" (Appeared on the first Gran Tursimo soundtrack) and "Darkside Lightside". Overall there's a good mix of songs. The vocals from Tim Wheeler to be honest arn't exactly always the best on this album, but the guitar work is decent. Tim uses a lot of Wah and other effects. The bass from Mark Hamilton isn't bad, obviously more noticable on songs where Tim hasn't layered his guitars as much, and does some cool guitar solos (nothing finger melting, exept Lose Control maybe). As for the drumming from Rick McMurray, I think it's his swift pace that give a lot of the energy the band have amazing.

Tim did most of the writing here on 1977, with a bit of help from Rick on "Angel Interceptor" and Mark wrote "Innocent Smile." The lyrics, as I said earlier, can be quite fictional at times, but quite a great deal of the songs show Tim has got quite a soft side to him when it comes to relationships. The lyrics all fit in pretty well with the music, like I said Tim's vocals wern't top-notch but they fit with the music. I wouldn't say Tim was out of tune, but just a little weak. (his voice gets stronger on every album.) Also, there's a secret track of Tim and the guys puking into a bucket which is sick, but funny.

I know that Ash arn't exactly right at the top of Artists, but they're a really talented band and this early release proves that they're capable of a lot of stuff. Best songs are the forgotton classic "Lose Control", "Innocent Smile", and all five top singles that still find their way on to Ash's setlists today "Girl From Mars", "Goldfinger", Kung Fu", "Angel Interceptor" and "Oh Yeah." Still a top album today, 1977 was the best start Ash could've got. I love the energy in that the songs give off, kinda gives me a kick in a way. There's not really anything I hate about. I'd have to choice if I lost this but to buy it again. Good if you like Punk (not American cheesy punk) or Indie, or just something to make you feel young.